BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

RED 5.04 installation problem

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Theo van Laar
RED 5.04 installation problem
on Jun 28, 2011 at 10:16:09 pm

I fail to install RED 5.04 on my computer.

I have tried to install normally.
I have tried to use the Install as Administrator option.
I have removed RED 5.02 (32 bits and 64 bits versions)
I have the problem both with 32 bits and 64 bits RED5.04
I am working with 64bits Windows 7 Home Premium SP1.

The error message can be seen in the following picture:

Are there more people with the same problem? Is there any solution?
Thanks for your help!

Theo

Return to posts index

Kirk Pitts
Re: RED 5.04 installation problem
on Jun 29, 2011 at 12:09:54 am

I had a similar problem on my Mac. I had to rebuild permissions and everything worked fine after that. I don't know the equivalent to fix this on a pc but it is a file permissions problem.

Return to posts index

Theo van Laar
on Jun 29, 2011 at 1:08:11 pm

Thanks. But i have no idea how to rebuild permissions in Windows 7. And I didn't have this error with RED5.0 or 5.02. So I hope somebody can advice me on how to proceed.

Theo

Return to posts index

Ray Brazier
on Jun 30, 2011 at 5:03:07 am

Hi, I had the same problem when I tried to instal RED 5. Try these answers:

http://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-7/understanding-windows-7-administrator-acc...

http://www.mydigitallife.info/how-to-take-ownership-and-gain-full-control-p...

I used the batch script and then right clicked any file or folder that I needed to take ownership of. You can tell which file or folder to change from the message you receive while installing RED.

I don't know why RED 5 causes this problem. I've never had this trouble installing RED 4 or any other software. It seems specific to RED 5 and I wish Boris FX would fix it. Their support was no help.

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
on Jun 30, 2011 at 1:44:27 pm

Hi Guys,

This is all news to me - I have no knowledge of this happening on any other customer systems but I will begin an immediate investigation into the source of the problem. It could be installer related but then again, it might be something else. We'll know for sure after we meet internally to discuss it.

Thanks,

Peter.

Return to posts index

Kirk Pitts
on Jun 30, 2011 at 2:25:11 pm

This happened to me after I tried to update to the 5.04 from the original Red 5 installer. I had also upgraded from 10.5 to 10.6 in between the original install and the attempt to update. I had the same basic message but in OS X parlance. I usually rebuild permissions after a major change or install but didn't this time after the 10.6 update.

Just FYI.

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
on Jun 30, 2011 at 2:36:17 pm

Hi Kirk,

This is really good and useful information and will certainly help us in our attempts to reproduce the issue.

Thanks for passing this along.

Cheers,

peter.

Return to posts index

Theo van Laar
on Jul 2, 2011 at 11:14:54 am

I have some additional information about the problem. Instead of waiting for RER5.05, I decided today to reinstall RED 5.02 back. But I am not able anymore to install 5.02 or 5.00, while they have been installed on my computer.

Could this all have something to do with a recent windows update?

Theo

Return to posts index

Theo van Laar
on Jul 4, 2011 at 6:37:51 am

And another piece of information: RED 4 has no problems in being installed on my computer. So the problem seems to be specific for RED 5. I hope this helps in finding a solution.

Theo

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
on Jul 6, 2011 at 1:46:56 pm

Hi Theo,

Did you completely uninstall RED 5.0.4 before attempting to install a previous version? If so, you might want to delete anything in the registry for RED 5.0.4 just to be sure that RED 5.0.2 does not see a newer version of itself, which could prevent the install from successfully installing RED onto the target system.

Meanwhile, please know that we are still investigating the source of the problem, which we believe to be a permissions issue.

Thanks,

Peter.

Return to posts index

Theo van Laar
on Jul 6, 2011 at 2:49:33 pm

Hi Peter,

Thanks that you are still looking into my problem. I did not uninstall 5.04. What happens is that the installation stops at the moment you see the error message on the picture (creating folders). Then it rolls back. I guess that means it un-installs itself.

You may be right that it is a permission issue, but then this is still specific for RED 5, since I could install RED 4 back without any problem. But also if it is a permission issue, I really would like to know how to proceed. A google search with error 1926 gave some hits, but not a clear solution.

When I'm at home tonight, I will do a registry cleaning and then try to re-install 5.02 as you suggested. I will let you know if that helps.

Theo

Return to posts index

Theo van Laar
on Jul 6, 2011 at 9:22:31 pm

Hi Peter,

I have uninstalled RED 4. Next I ran the registry cleaner from McAfee. Then I tried again to install RED 5. All versions (5.0, 5.02 and 5.04, 32bits and 64bits) gave the same error.

I hope that you or your engineers will be able to find a solution.

Theo

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
on Jul 6, 2011 at 9:43:42 pm

Hi Theo,

We have a set of installers that our release engineering team has created specifically for you, that are designed to test out a couple of theories as to what the root of the problem may be. Are you available to look at this with us tomorrow?

Thanks,

Peter.

Return to posts index

Theo van Laar
on Jul 6, 2011 at 9:53:13 pm

Yes, I will be happy to test them.

Theo

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
on Jul 7, 2011 at 1:13:25 pm

Hi Theo,

Can you please send me your private email address? You can send that to me here: peterm@borisfx.com.

Thanks,

Peter.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]