Boris AAF transfer sync issues

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Neil Sadwelkar
Boris AAF transfer sync issues
on Jun 9, 2011 at 1:28:18 pm

I have a feature project edited on FCP 7.0.3

Video is Red files but we are using ProRes transcoded .mov not R3D proxies
Audio is either embedded in the ProRes transcodes, or from BWF files.
Where audio is from BWF, the audio and video are synced and merged into FCP merged clips.
The BWF files are mostly 96k, but some are 48k as well.
There is some music at 48k AIFF, some sound effects too.

I downloaded the AAF transfer plug-in trial.
Exported FCP sequence as AAF.
Checked the 'Override clips names with original file names' checkbox in 'Effects'

Imported into MC 5.5.1 Mac.

After import into Avid MC, I see some sound and video shifts. I know because I placed a 1 frame beep and video sync frame exactly 2 sec before start of video and 2 sec after end of video.

At the start of the Avid timeline, the beep and video frame all line up perfectly. But, at the end of the timeline in Avid I find that these 1 frame beeps are shifted and they don't all line up. Video on V1 is short by some frames. V2-4 are fine. A1-3 are shifted down by some seconds. And 2 other audio tracks were shifted too.

I went through the sequence with FCP and Avid MC open, to compare and found...

1. If one used a freeze frame in FCP of a source other than video, like freeze of a jpg, or freeze of a text tool title, then the AAF doesn't carry that, and instead of leaving a corresponding gap, in Avid MC the video comes out short. I removed the freezes in FCP and video turned out fine.
2. If one applies a motion effect on video and sound on a merged clip, then in the AAF the video has the motion effect applied so its the right duration, but the corresponding sound is still 100%, hence the audio from that point forward shifts down.

This maybe needs to be documented.

-----------------------------------
Neil Sadwelkar
neilsadwelkar.blogspot.com
twitter: fcpguru
FCP Editor, Edit systems consultant
Mumbai India

Return to posts index

Sara Burke
Re: Boris AAF transfer sync issues
on Jun 13, 2011 at 3:16:55 pm

Neil,

1) Freeze Frames are supported only for video at this time. However, they should be replaced by a filler, which sounds like this is not happening for you.
2) Motion Effects are supported only for video at this time. Unfortunately, sounds like the duration of those motion audio clips is incorrect.

Thanks for your input! These are issues we will definitely address for a future release.

-----------------
Sara M Burke
BorisFX
sburke@borisfx.com

Return to posts index

Sara Burke
on Jun 13, 2011 at 3:32:30 pm

If possible, could you send me the FCP XML of the sequence you are trying to export to AAF? It would help me confirm these issues.

-----------------
Sara M Burke
BorisFX
sburke@borisfx.com

Return to posts index

Neil Sadwelkar
on Jun 16, 2011 at 2:50:58 am

I'd love to send it. Please let me know to which address.

Also, I've been experimenting with using Boris to transfer FCP 24@25 timelines to an Avid 24p PAL film projects. I know that's not supported but there's considerable demand for that in our region. So I'm trying to figure out workarounds if any.

I can send you example sequences of 24@25 FCP, and Avid 24p PAL film as well.

-----------------------------------
Neil Sadwelkar
neilsadwelkar.blogspot.com
twitter: fcpguru
FCP Editor, Edit systems consultant
Mumbai India

Return to posts index

Sara Burke
on Jun 16, 2011 at 3:35:59 pm

Neil,

You can send them to sburke@borisfx.com, along with descriptions of what you are seeing, what the desired result is, and I'll try my best to find a solution.

-----------------
Sara M Burke
BorisFX
sburke@borisfx.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]