BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

Boris Red 5 - not useable

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Neil AdamsonBoris Red 5 - not useable
by on May 26, 2011 at 8:28:03 pm

Hello

My experience of Red 5 (32 bit) has reduced my opinion of BorisFX tremendously.

The application is so unstable and bug ridden it is essentially shelfware - it certainly cannot be used in any commercial projects without the risk of serious embarrasement as it crashes continually.

Every time I apply a FEC effect or a BCC effect and manipulate the paramters I crash.

BorisFX has been of almost no assistance - they rarely respond to mails about this issue and their feedback is non existent.

I suppose it is time to start looking at a replacement product that
works.
Pity because Avid FX is very stable.

What a waste of money, time and effort Red 5 is.

Neil
Effective Video
http://www.effectivevideo.co.za

Return to posts index

Boris YamnitskyRe: Boris Red 5 - not useable
by on May 26, 2011 at 9:31:57 pm

Neil, our tech support team spoke with you and it appears that you are using Windows XP. Although we strive to support older OS versions, XP is now two generations old. We are looking at possible solutions for XP but in the meantime, you'll have to use Avid FX which is essentially RED 4. I'm very sorry for the inconvenience. We'll let you know as soon as the fix is found.

Boris Yamnitsky
BorisFX

Return to posts index

Neil AdamsonRe: Boris Red 5 - not useable
by on May 27, 2011 at 5:47:35 am

Hello

Thanks for the response - I have been in contact with the tech team, but the feedback has been limited to an occasional acknowledgement of a problem, but still no solution has been forthcoming.

Also regarding XP - I have rechecked the BorisFX site and there is no easily findable place (for me at least) that says Red5 is not certified for XP or that Red 5 will not work on XP.

If this was made known to me, I would have perhaps not made the purchase or I would have started an upgrade plan.

Regards

Neil
Effective Video

Return to posts index

by on May 27, 2011 at 12:55:43 pm

Neil,

As a plug-in company, we try to support every OS that the host application officially supports. In other words, if Host X supports OS Y then we try to support the same configuration. We know that Avid still supports XP for some legacy systems that can not move forward. Prior to the release, we've done limited XP testing and missed your problem. Our main focus has been on testing Win7. We now reproduced the problem in our lab and working on a solution. The problem is intermittent and not immediately reproducible, at least in our lab but I'm confident that we will find a solution for you.

Boris Yamnitsky
BorisFX

Return to posts index

John RofranoRe: Boris Red 5 - not useable
by on May 27, 2011 at 5:16:23 pm

[Boris Yamnitsky] "Prior to the release, we've done limited XP testing and missed your problem. Our main focus has been on testing Win7."
As a Windows 7 64-bit user this is *exactly* what I expect software companies to focus on. XP users should not be surprised that they are last on this list for compatibility testing.
[Neil Adamson] "If this was made known to me, I would have perhaps not made the purchase or I would have started an upgrade plan."
Neil, I mean this is the best possible way... but you might want to start working on that "upgrade plan". ;-) As Boris pointed out, you are two OS's behind. It seems like you do this as a business. Part of your business plan should be to keep your tools current.

Microsoft's Mainstream Support End Date for Windows XP Professional SP3 was 4/14/2009. That means unless you personally purchased an extended support plan directly from Microsoft to extend that to 4/8/2014, your business is operating on an unsupported OS. All of your tools are running on a platform that is unsupported by the manufacturer. That should be a scary thought.

Consider this: Are you using the same cameras as you did in 2001? Why would you use the same OS that was designed in 2001? And why would you expect software written in 2011 to work on an OS that was written in 2001? (10 years earlier). XP doesn't even know what a SATA drive is (there is no included driver). You can't install it on a SATA drive without drivers from the disc manufacture and a floppy disc drive. No floppy disc... no XP install!!! Think about that.

Windows XP has been the most stable and long lived version of Windows that I can remember. I understand why people are reluctant to move from it. I know a lot of people take the attitude, "...if it ain't broke... don't fix it". Well... consider it broke! More and more software is going to not work properly on XP. It's time to move up to Windows 7 64-bit. I created a dual boot system with XP and Windows 7 and I haven't booted my XP partition in over a year. I think you'll be very happy with Windows 7 and at least your business will be running on a supported OS.

This post is not only intended for you Neil, it's really for anyone who is still operating a business on XP. It's really time to make plans to move up to a supported OS. I would much rather have software companies focusing on supporting new features than testing outdated OS's.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Neil AdamsonRe: Boris Red 5 - not useable
by on May 29, 2011 at 7:55:04 pm

Hello

Firstly to BorisFX -
Your support team came back to me and provided some config changes which seems to have added a lot more stability to the application - so thank you for the support.

It is greatly appreciated. Big up!

John -no offence taken, and in some respects you are right, but the upgrade issues and the pros and cons thereof are many and varied.

Simply put up until now I have had no reason to migrate my workhorse machines off XP (there is a long and tiresome thread in the Avid forums on this issue as well, but I wont rehash that).

Avid MC's next release will be 64 bit and I will be forced to upgrade then, but for the time being XP provides the stability and reliability that I need.

And at this point in time it is my opinion that there is more software that works with XP than there is that doesnt.

Yes I know this will swing soon, but the Windows 7 machines I see have more applications installed in their 32 bit directories than in their 64 bit ones. Apart from virtualisation - software companies have found writing multithreaded programs running multple threads on multiple cores more difficult and costly than they may have originally thought, with the result that many apps are still stuck in the 32 bit single core mode.

I will upgrade to Win 6 64 bit when there is real value to do so. i.e. when my main editing applications are fully supported on 64 bit OS's and make full use of a 64 bit architecture.

Why go to 32 bit Vista or 7 when they add no real value, under the hood a lot of it is still Window NT!
I find it rare that something will run on 32 bit Vista or 7 and not on XP.

I am not sure about your no floppy no XP install - I have installed and reinstalled XP many times without a floppy disk - granted the mobos have PATA and SATA drives, but even the latest 64 bit MOBOS have IDE connections for a PATA drive, so up until now it has not been an issue for me.

Anyway thanks for your comments and as time marches on there will be a requirement to move to better, newer, faster OS's, but right now if a vendor says their application runs on XP then it should run properly on XP.

And really they they should not reduce the effort or focus required to make sure it does.

A simple disclaimer "This application does not run on XP" would be better suited rather than post-purchase statements later on about a lack of focus, will or effort in testing.

But then again such an explicit XP exclusion may reduce the potential target market and consequently the overall sales - so who is really paying for the testing on newer OS's?

Could it be all those unmigrated users still on XP?

Neil
Effective Video

Return to posts index

John RofranoRe: Boris Red 5 - not useable
by on May 30, 2011 at 12:42:23 am

All good points. I know the breaking point will be different for different people. I guess I'm in a different place. All of my main applications are 64-bit (Sony Vegas Pro 10, Boris RED 5, After Effects CS5, Sonar X1, Vue 8 Infinite, Carrara 8 Pro, etc.) so I have no need or desire to be running a 32-bit OS. But even if you are still running a lot of 32-bit applications, a 64-bit OS will allow you to run more of them simultaneousness because it's not limited to 4GB of memory. Just something to consider.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

by on May 30, 2011 at 11:16:52 am

Not to defend our lack of support for XP at this point (the next update is coming soon with many bug fixes for XP), but I want to say that there is no technical reason to remain on a 32 bit OS even if your main application is still 32 bit. As long as your processor supports 64 bit OS you should upgrade to it. Avid recommended 64 bit OSs, Adobe strongly suggested to use 64 bit OS and put more memory on the computer long before CS5 was out. A 64 bit OS runs much faster and less bug prone because it does not need to page memory as much (provided that you have enough physical memory of course). It is especially true if you are running more than one app at a time (which you always do, even if it is Explorer).

Boris Yamnitsky
BorisFX

Return to posts index

Steve PankowRe: Boris Red 5 - not useable
by on May 31, 2011 at 9:05:45 pm

Sure the manufacturers will recommend keeping current, but economics often dictate what gets used. I'm still on Avid MC 2.2.10 because to upgrade would render our Unity obsolete and we have no budget to upgrade that as well.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]