BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

Boris Red 5.0 Problems

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christopher AhrensbackBoris Red 5.0 Problems
by on May 15, 2011 at 1:06:28 pm

I installed Red 5.0 last week and just started using it yesterday. I had a bunch of trouble ...

1) When applied to a clip as a filter, under Project Settings, both PROJECT and VIDEO ASPECT are greyed out and locked to CUSTOM and SQUARE PIXELS. The WIDTH/HEIGHT are locked to 655 x480 ... I need to use D1/DV NTSC at 720 x 480.

2) Possibly related to point #1 -- when Boris is applied as a filter, the video appears to blur slightly and there is a change in video levels between the affected and unaffected clip.

3) Video output of a single frame before rendering and full playback after rendering displays a grid of black dots superimposed over the video.

Boris Red 5.0.0.320
Adobe Premiere Pro version 5.0.3
Black Magic I/O card
GeForce GTS 450 video card
Windows 7 64bit
8 GB ram

Any ideas?

Chris

Return to posts index

peter mcauleyRe: Boris Red 5.0 Problems
by on May 16, 2011 at 2:55:05 pm

Hi Chris,

The Boris RED filter will take on the project dimensions of the clip to which it has been applied. If you need to use D1 but your media is 655 x 480, then create a new track above the media, generate a slug at D1, cut the slug into the new track above the 655 x 480 video and apply RED to the slug.

Are you seeing a difference in video quality after you render or before you render?

The black dots that you are seeing over the render are a mystery. Are you seeing this with any other filter or only with Boris RED? Also, are you seeing the same result when the OpenGL preview setting in RED is enabled or disabled?

Thanks,

Peter.

Return to posts index

Christopher AhrensbackRe: Boris Red 5.0 Problems
by on May 16, 2011 at 4:25:57 pm

No, my clip isn't 655 x 480 -- it's a standard DV clip (720 x 480) and I'm importing some large stills (3872 x 2592) into Boris for panning/scanning over it. Actually, just applying Boris to a clip alone results in the Project Settings defaulting to 655 x 480 with no option to change this. When you say 'slug', do you mean dummy clip? If so, I was going to try that but apparently in PP CS5, the Video 1 track is not fed through to Boris unless it is directly applied to a clip ... makes it difficult to build an effect when one can't see what is going on.

I just set up a split clip ... half with Boris applied (no parameters/FX) and half not. After rendering, the effected side of the clip shows a distinct softening, as if I had applied a small bit of blur. As well, the black dots grid appeared. Same results when Open GL off/on.

The grid does not show up inside the application (PP) ... only on my output TV (40" LCD fed by HDMI) so I'm starting to suspect my Black Magic Intensity Pro card. But why does this grid appear only when using Boris?

Thanks for your reply Peter. Any more insight you might have would be greatly appreciated.

Chris

Return to posts index

by on May 16, 2011 at 4:58:34 pm

P.S. I just exported/burned a treated and untreated clip -- the black dot grid pattern does not appear on a DVD playback so all signs seem to point to my Black Magic card for that trouble. The blurriness I described above is definitely there still.

Chris

Return to posts index

by on May 16, 2011 at 6:05:42 pm

Hi Chris,

When used in Premiere Pro, Boris RED will automatically set the project settings for the composite that it is generating to the pixel dimensions of the clip to which the filter has been applied. It will ignore the project dimensions that have been set by the host.

If, while working with a Boris RED filter composite in Premiere Pro you open the RED project settings window, you will see a reported size that is not accurate - 655 x 480. You can safely ignore this data.

As to the blurry result - I'm not sure why this is happening but it sounds to me as though there could be some sort of 1:2:1 deflicker blur being applied to the result. Can you check the RED project settings and make sure that 1:2:1 deflicker is disabled?

Glad to hear that you resolved the black dot issue.

I hope this helps,

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

by on May 16, 2011 at 6:32:01 pm

OK, thanks for the 'ignore the data' advice.

1:2:1 Deflicker was enabled! All problems solved!

Thanks a bunch Peter :-)

Chris

Return to posts index

by on May 16, 2011 at 6:36:54 pm

Glad to hear that helped Chris.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]