BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

Error 1926 when installing RED 5

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Raymond BrazierError 1926 when installing RED 5
by on May 13, 2011 at 1:40:33 am

Hi, I own RED 4, Graffiti, FX and Continuum Complete 7. All of which have installed on my Win 7 x64 PC without any problems. When I try to install RED 5 I get the following message:

'Error 1926. Could not set security for file C:Windows. Error: 0. Verify that you have sufficient privilages to modify the security permisions for this file.'

I have an administrators account and UAC is off. I have no problem installing any other software and I installed Red Giants Primatte Keyer 4.1 and CPU-Z yesterday without any problems.

I've contacted Boris FX support but this hasn't resolved the problem. I've also posted in two popular Win 7 support forums to try to find a solution. So far nothing has worked. During the RED 5 installation when the error message appeared I tried to find 'C:Windows. Error: 0.' No such file exists so I'm unable to find this problematic file or folder or change its permissions.

I have no idea what else I can do to solve this problem or why it's only happening with RED 5. Any advice or help is appreciated.

Return to posts index

peter mcauleyRe: Error 1926 when installing RED 5
by on May 13, 2011 at 8:55:17 pm

Hi Raymond,

When you say that you contacted our support, did you actually reach anyone there? I'm assuming that you tried to reach them via email ... did you use the email address? If so, did someone actually return your email?

Please feel free to send another message to them and cc me ( to make sure that it makes it through.

Return to posts index

Ray BrazierRe: Error 1926 when installing RED 5
by on May 14, 2011 at 2:44:17 am

Hi Peter, thanks for your reply. I sent two requests via your on-line support system and then received a reply from Jeremy Ellis who advised taking ownership of the folder but this doesn't appear possible so I requested further advice. I'll send another support request if you think this is necessary.

Return to posts index

jorge acunaRe: Error 1926 when installing RED 5
by on Aug 24, 2011 at 3:56:39 pm

Hi, for anyone who needs the solution to this matter, the way I solved it was the following:

both folders C:Program FilesAdobeCommonPlug-insCS5MediaCore

need to have their security policy modified. Here is how:

I disabled simple file sharing in the explorer browser window going to folder options menu you will find it there. this is needed to can access the tabs where the trouble is really solved.

then right click on each folder and go to properties. When the multiple properties tabs appears, then go to the security tab(the second one I believe) and there u will see a list of users in their categories and just below when u click on each one, the level of permission and the amount each one has.

So then you click on edit and assign all the permissions to 2 specific users:

SYSTEM and Trusted Installer. These two are the ones who probably when you opened the security tab had none of the permissions enabled, which is the reason why the installation creates the security error and rolls back.

well , that's it! I hope it helps anyone as it helped me read the "take ownership of the folder" comment from the boris fx support girl (I think its a girl name :) ) and that gave me the idea, along with seeing and reading the error again.

cheers to everyone!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved