BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials Motion Graphics After Effects

Match move offset question

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stewart Bourke
Match move offset question
on May 4, 2011 at 12:09:58 am

In a previous post back in January, I found a post that describes how to set the start-frame offset for motion tracking:

• Offset the Tracking Start Time in the filter by setting the Start Tracking Frame parameter value (in the Motion Tracker group of controls) to the corresponding frame value from the timeline. For instance, I placed a clip in a timeline with the media head at 39;13. Then I added the BCC Match Move filter. Then I set the Start Tracking Frame parameter to a value of 1183 and enabled Track on the Fly and started tracking.

However, I cannot get this to work.

I am working on the 32 bit version of VP at present (I know...) and have a media clip in the timeline that is about 2 minutes long. I want to motion-track just the last 20 seconds of this event, so I can use the match-move with it to move an image in sync.

My problem is that my dynamic ram preview will only preview about 10-15 seconds at a time, and so I tried to set the offset to frame 1910 - which is very near where I want to start the match move from.

However, no matter what I do, the message 'move the timeline to a previously tracked frame etc etc' appears.

Am I misunderstanding the function of the 'start tracking frame' property?

I did read the docs on the motion racking, and it mentioned using nesting. My issue is that I have already got a chroma-key on this track, and I am not sure how to go about this nesting. For example, if I nest this track into a separate project, surely I will have the same issue, or do I need to split the event? Is my option simply to run the dynamic preview option 10 seconds at a time?

Any suggestions on how to proceed very welcome.

Thank you.

Return to posts index

Stewart Bourke
Re: Match move offset question.. more info
on May 4, 2011 at 7:49:46 am

I restarted my machine, stopped some services, and was able to get 1024MB of ram available for preview, which allows me work in 30 second steps, which is fine for now.

However, there is a further complication. The item I want to motion track only appears about 90 seconds into the clip, so even if I am able to dynamically preview, I do not know how to motion track something that only appears some time into the event.

The issue with the start tracking frame still exists - it does not seem to have any effect.

Any suggestions/advice would be welcome

Thank you.

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
on May 4, 2011 at 11:48:18 am

Hi,

One suggestion is to add a cut to the clip. Add the cut at the point in time where you want the motion tracker to begin. Then add the motion tracker to this segment.

Please let us know if this solves the problem.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

Stewart Bourke
on May 4, 2011 at 12:28:12 pm

Peter,

Thanks for the reply.

I had already tried this, but for some reason I can only get the motion tracker to work when it starts from the beginning of the timeline.

I put a cut about at about 90 seconds into the clip, and then highlighted the cut segment, did my dynamic render, but the motion tracker keeps asking me to move back to put the cursor over a previously tracked piece of footage.

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
on May 4, 2011 at 1:21:36 pm

Hi Stewart,

Hmmm ... I'll have to consult with one of my colleagues who understands better the workflow in Sony Vegas Pro but I think as a quick workaround you should be able to take the cut segment, add this to a new timeline, perform the matchmove, then cut back in to the original timeline the nested timeline with the effect. Might that work?

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
on May 4, 2011 at 1:22:48 pm

And I almost forgot to mention as one of the steps that you should make sure to place the 90 second portion of the clip at the start of the new timeline so that the matchmove filter will operate as expected.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]