BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

RED Stand Alone

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex UdellRED Stand Alone
by on May 2, 2011 at 1:20:16 pm

Hi All...

For the past year and a half I have been working at a facility that uses Apple's Motion as the center of their workflow. I have come to like the speed of it's graphics hardware driven design, and the structure of it's timeline. But what I don't like is its lack of 3d geometry or at least extruded objects.

A long time ago I was pretty proficient in Boris FX as it was the motion graphics engine of a previous NLE platform I used to work on. So with the release of Red 5 I downloaded the trial last week and will be spending some time using it as a stand alone mo' graf tool recreating some projects I've previously done to see how the workflow translates.

Anyone one use it this way?

I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Return to posts index

Neil AdamsonRe: RED Stand Alone
by on May 4, 2011 at 7:07:36 pm

I use Avid FX (Boris Red 4) as a standalone effects generator for a lot my work and I find it very useful as I can create and render titles / FX etc on one workstation whilst editing on another.

I export my rendered clips with alpha channel as QT mov files and import those into Media Composer.

In my experience despite a revamp and a change of UI colours Red 5 is not that much different to work with in comparison to previous versions.
Although a lot more filters and effects have been added.
So if you have some experience on earlier versions of Boris Red / Avid FX then you should be okay.

However I am having a number of stability issues with Red 5 and have had to go back to Avid FX for paying work.

I have raised this with Boris FX although after some initial enthusiasm in helping me, the support line seems to have gone quiet and I have had no feedback from them for the last few days.
So at this point I am back on Avid FX and Red 5 is really just an icon on my desktop.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved