BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials Motion Graphics After Effects

Boris 5 - Instabilities

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Neil Adamson
Boris 5 - Instabilities
on Apr 29, 2011 at 7:10:17 pm

Hello

I have found a lot of instability and frequent crashes in BorisFX Red 5 specifically when using filters (FEC and BCC) on various image / video and text tracks.

All works fine until I need to apply a filter on a track, then as soon as i start changing parameters or working on the track, I crash.
Sometimes Red 5 just closes without warning. other times I get the standard Windows crash.

I am running the XP 32 bit version and have tried this on 2 machines each have 3 gb memory and dual core 2.8Mghz processors.

I upgraded from Avid FX and did not uninstall Avid FX as I need it to complete projects and with Red 5 being so unstable I am reluctant to remove Avid FX.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Regards
Neil

Return to posts index

Boris Yamnitsky
Re: Boris 5 - Instabilities
on Apr 29, 2011 at 7:54:20 pm

Are you editing HD? 3Meg of memory may be cutting it too close. We need to know what version of Avid you are using. Perhaps the best is to contact our support so that we can reproduce the problem you are having.

Boris Yamnitsky
BorisFX

Return to posts index

Neil Adamson
on Apr 29, 2011 at 8:08:15 pm

Hello

No not HD but widescreen SD - also it is 3Gb memory - that is all I think XP can address, I have increased my virtual memory as well.

I am running Avid MC 5.5 however I am also running Red 5 on a standalone machine as well, and am experiencing the same problems so it does not appear to be an Avid MC issue.

I have raised a ticket on the BorisFX site.

Thanks
Neil

Return to posts index

Peter Burn
on May 7, 2011 at 5:41:25 am

I am crashing too; all I want to do is make animated titles.

Editing XDCAM HD 35mps 1440 X 1080i.

Premiere Pro CS5.03, Windows 7 64 bit
16 gig RAM
SuperMicro board with two quad XEONs
QuadroFX 3600
Two AVID SCSI ultra320 RAIDs, each on its own channel
(I physically removed the AJA Kona and its software, thinking it was to blame)

I put the Red filter into a title container, make the title, then apply. I can see the title under the red render bar. Render work area then either:
1) Premiere crashes
2) title turns black over the MXF video
3) title turns to "media offline"

I already own the latest Continuum and Fianl effects and use them from the Premiere effects list, not via RED. RED transitions seem to be oaky though but I sure do need animated titles!

Peter

Return to posts index

Boris Yamnitsky
on May 7, 2011 at 11:02:02 am

There will be a 5.02 update that will fix a number of reported problems. Peter, please make sure to contact our support and report the problem you are having to make sure it is fixed. Sorry for inconvenience.

Boris Yamnitsky
BorisFX

Return to posts index

Neil Adamson
on May 7, 2011 at 12:02:54 pm

This sounds very positive - thanks Boris.

Is there an anticipated time frame for when this fix will be released?

Regards

Neil
Effective Video
http://www.effectivevideo.co.za

Return to posts index

Boris Yamnitsky
on May 7, 2011 at 4:15:38 pm

Nothing specific to CS 5.5 except for an install option. But I know we fixed a few bugs that affect Premiere CS 5 plugin.

Boris Yamnitsky
BorisFX

Return to posts index

Peter Burn
on May 7, 2011 at 12:35:15 pm

Thanks for the update Boris. I've been using BorisFX since Red 2.5/BFX6 and Continuum Complete has been part of our tool chest since BCC4. You make the best video plugins out there and I know you will get the bugs out of RED5 quickly.

Are there any known issues with RED5 in Premiere Pro CS5.5? (arrives at our office next week)

Peter

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on Jul 17, 2011 at 8:50:09 pm

Peter, I am unable to install The latest version of Red 5 that I just purchased on my Mac Pro. The installer that came with it only has a CS4 installation as an option. How did you work around installing for CS 5.5?

Tom Daigon
Avid DS / PrP / After Effects Editor
http://www.hdshotsandcuts.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]