BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials Motion Graphics After Effects

stabilisation

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stewart Bourke
stabilisation
on Apr 4, 2011 at 1:52:52 pm

BCC 7 / Vegas Pro 10 - latest

Anybody have any luck getting the stabilier to work?

I have an avi file containing mjpeg, which I created in avidemux by converting from some divx (this is the way the original footage was delivered, and it cannot be re-shot)

I have tried the BCC stabiliser, and no matter what settings I choose (including leaving everything at default) all I get when the analysis has finished is a black screen for the duration of the clip.

Are the specific formats which work better with BCC's stabiliser, or is it just not up to the task in general?

Thanks

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
Re: stabilisation
on Apr 4, 2011 at 4:13:24 pm

Hi Stewart,

I'm assuming that you have read through the instructions in the included help file regarding use of the BCC Optical Stabilizer filter. If that's the case and you are still experiencing problems then I'd like to suggest that you drop an email to our support center and one of the guys there can assist you with stabilizing the clip. You can reach them at support@borisfx.com.

Or, if you would like to provide me with the clip I'd be happy to give it a shot on one of the systems in our labs. Do you have an FTP drop from where I can download the clip?

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

Stewart Bourke
on Apr 5, 2011 at 9:07:20 am

Peter,

Yes, I had read and followed the documentation - the PDF docs for each effect are comprehensive (if not a little daunting...) I did try changing some of the settings as described in the docs and to no avail. I will pull out a section of the video and send a link directly to support with it at suggested.

Thank you

Return to posts index

Stewart Bourke
on Apr 18, 2011 at 10:38:32 pm

Peter,

Apologies for the delay.

There is a 10 second mpeg2 clip uploaded to the following ftp location:

Use: borisfx1/borisfx1 - you may need to disable passive mode if possible...

There is one file in the directory - this is a snapshot from a bigger file which as a number of clips I want to use. Unfortunately the tripod was sticking the day they were shot, and ideally I want to try and smooth out some of the jerkiness in panning...

Every clip I try to analysis just goes black once finished. I did try smooth, and whilst it did work to an extent, it seemed to zoom in by about 35-40% does not look great.

I did read the documentation several times, and did try some different attribute values, but none of them improved things. For example, when I turned off auto-scale, I ended up with a tiny picture, which moved off-screen every time I set any value...

Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Stewart Bourke

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
on Apr 19, 2011 at 2:37:05 pm

Hi Stewart,

I'm downloading the clip right now and will take a look at it today to see if I can understand the cause of the problem that you are experiencing with the Optical Stabilizer filter.

More in a bit.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
on Apr 19, 2011 at 3:06:35 pm

Hi Stewart,

After reviewing your clip, I can understand why you are seeing the result that you reported. There is nothing in the frame that the Optical Stabilizer filter can use to lock down, therefore, because of the constant camera pan / zoom that is going on, your only course of action is to use the filter in Smooth mode instead of Stabilize mode. I did this and achieved excellent results.

One tip that I have to offer is after you have let the filter analyze the clip, set the the mode pop-up to Smooth and play with the smoothing range values - increasing the value in this field will generate a smoother result, but at the cost of losing more of the clip as it is scaled to fill the frame while maintaining a smooth result over the frames that you set in this field.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]