BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials Motion Graphics After Effects

FCP Brightness Shift when using Boris FX

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marc D'Amour
FCP Brightness Shift when using Boris FX
on Mar 29, 2011 at 11:09:26 pm

Hello... I have a Final Cut Pro problem with a brightness shift on some of my clips. I do demo reels for actors, and I grab scenes from DVD's to put on their compilation reels.

When a new scene comes up I put a lower third Boris Text piece on the screen saying which film it is that the viewer is watching. In my timeline the clips playback consistently without a brightness shift or problem. It seems I can even export a full resolution Pro Res LT file and maintain perfect and consistent color and brightness.

Unfortunately when I export for the web using H.264 and AAC, on some (only some) of my text inserts, as soon as the first frame of the text comes up (which I use a cross dissolve on to ease in and out of the transition) the image immediately shifts darker. The shift actually happens randomly throughout the resulting H.264 file as well but the only thing I can troubleshoot MIGHT be causing this because of the example I'm going to show you is that it occurs around the insertion of Boris Text. I'm running Final Cut Pro 7 on a Intel Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro with 4GB's of RAM. I edit directly off a G-Tech Raid that is connected via FireWire 800.

I've uploaded a clip from my current reel to show you exactly what I'm trying to describe. You can stream it at the following link.

http://idisk.mac.com/marcdamour/Public/brightness.m4v

I appreciate any help with this.

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
Re: FCP Brightness Shift when using Boris FX
on Mar 30, 2011 at 1:07:24 pm

Hi,

What is most interesting is that only some of the titles are displaying a brightness shift. I also find it interesting that when you export to a non web format codec that these very same titles render as expected without a brightness shift. Can you narrow it down a little further? Is there one title which is consistently displaying the shift? If so can you isolate it to the title only and reproduce the issue? If you can do that then we may be on the way to resolving the problem.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

Marc D'Amour
on Mar 30, 2011 at 5:12:41 pm

The 3 titles in the link I shared are consistently producing these results. I'm not sure I know what you mean by "isolating it to the title only." What perplexes me the most is that even when I have a clean uncompressed Pro Res file without any problems, when I compress that very file it produces problems. It's very frustrating!

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
on Mar 31, 2011 at 1:13:23 am

Hi,

I'm seeing the luma shift in clips where there is little or not white in the image. In the clips where there is no real shift in luma when the title is on screen, there is some white in other ares in the frame, so I wonder what would happen if (just as a test) you tried setting the titles to mid/dark grey to see if this alters the luma shift. Can you please try that to see if it makes any difference?

Thanks,

Peter.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]