BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

AAF Transfer - AVID to FCP

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Doug PerryAAF Transfer - AVID to FCP
by on Mar 11, 2011 at 1:15:34 am

First of all I'm a new FCP editor but an 11 year AVID editor. I've been using the new upgrade of AAF transfer to move projects from AVID to FCP but have some issues/questions.

1- I go through and manually relink my media (audio, graphics, etc) in the import dialog box. After the the project loads the items are linked in the sequence but not in the project bin. They still have the red slash through the icon and the clips don't appear to have any relationship to those clips in the sequence.

2- It would be nice if AVID x,y position keyframes were recognized. Is it because FCP doesn't keyframe x,y position that this doesn't work? I have to re-keyframe all my animation moves which is kind of a pain (but better than starting from scratch).

3- My graphics (Photoshop files) with transparency don't come in. I have to manually choose the appropriate transparency in FCP (white, black, straight, invert). Sometimes I can do this in bulk and other times I have to do it one at a time.

I must say this was a pleasant and unexpected upgrade and hope to see more development in AAF Transfer.

Return to posts index

peter mcauleyRe: AAF Transfer - AVID to FCP
by on Mar 11, 2011 at 2:51:14 pm

Hi Doug,

Firstly, thanks for using the product and I'm glad to hear that it's easing your workflow.

So ... to answer your questions:

1. Have you tried switching the Link to Original Source References radio button from it's default, which is "MAX/AIF Only" to Any? I suspect that if you do this then all of your files should automatically relink as expected.

2. If you are using the Avid resize utility to keyframe the position of elements in the composer window, then you are correct in assuming that this is not supported. However, if you have BCC AVX and BCC FxPlug then you're in luck, as you can use the BCC DVE filter to keyframe the position of the element in the composer window and all of that information is preserved in the transfer from MC to FCP.

3. AAF Transfer 2.0.4 supports the transfer of both tiff and psd graphics with alpha so I'm not totally sure why yours are not arriving as expected. Perhaps it's related to my answer for question 1 above? Perhaps you could try that and let us know if it helps?

And thanks again for your kind words and your support of our products. We are always trying to make our products better and easier to use and with that should you have any suggestions or concerns please feel free to contact me directly via email at

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved