BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

Animated Spline in Boris Red

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonathan Thomas
Animated Spline in Boris Red
on Mar 4, 2011 at 10:46:38 pm

Can you tell me the steps on creating a animated spline in Boris Red?I see this is the latest effects TV producers are using these days.

Those green lime spline strokes!!! This is taking from Boris Red video demo on their website.

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
Re: Animated Spline in Boris Red
on Mar 8, 2011 at 2:03:20 pm

Hi,

You might first want to read through this tutorial, which explains how the spline masking system works in Boris RED. Then simply apply this knowledge to a filled spline shape that is used to generate a colored bar instead of a mask.

http://borisfx.cachefly.net/borisfx/download_files/MaskTutorial.pdf

I hope this helps!

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

Jonathan Thomas
on Mar 10, 2011 at 6:01:36 pm

Hi Peter,

I’d created a long square spline. What I have is an L shape with no curve. But, how do you create the illusion that the line turns and curve? I know you can combine two spline objects by masking one into another and that is what I did.

However, I am not getting that curve illusion that you see on TV commercials. Whereas, your animated line moves across the screen up and down into another scene with a curve. Any video tutorials out there on how to create this spline effects?

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
on Mar 10, 2011 at 6:22:14 pm

Hi Jonathan,

To create the look that you have in mind, they these steps:

• create an "L" spline shape using the pen tool - leave it as an open 3-point spline shape
• set the track shape type to 3d extrusion
• in the control panel for the extrusion shape, set the fill to off and the border to on
• offset the angle by setting the spin parameter to 45 degrees

this will create the angular "L" ribbon shape - to animate it follow these steps

• with the track selected, select the pen tool again
• at the start of the timeline, set the bottom of the shape to it's starting point by dragging the last point of the shape
• move to the end of the timeline
• reposition the point that you moved

now when you scrub the timeline, the shape will flow on.

If this in unclear please contact me (peterm@borisfx.com) and I'll send you a small basic sample project that demonstrates this for you.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]