BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

BCC Extruded EPS problem

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve BrameBCC Extruded EPS problem
by on Mar 3, 2011 at 9:08:29 pm

Finally got around to upgrading to BCC7 for AE CS5(Win), and I can't even seem to perform what should be a simple task. Basically, I need to create extruded rectangle shapes with text on their front, like the ones in this video...

I tried creating an Extruded EPS from an AI file, and adding the text in AE, but when I parent the Extruded layer to the text layer, the 'parenting' is only seen in AE's Transformations, not the ones in the BCC Extruded EPS effect. I need the text to stick to the front face of the shape.

Steve Brame
creative illusions Productions

Return to posts index

peter mcauleyRe: BCC Extruded EPS problem
by on Mar 3, 2011 at 9:25:10 pm

Hi,

Instead, you might want to try this:

• create a text layer and generate the text that you need
• create a solid color layer - set the color of this layer to the color that you need for the text background
• precomp the text and the background layers and disable the view of the newly created precomp
• create a layer and apply bcc 7 extruded spline to the layer - by default this will generate an extruded rectangle
• In the controls window, set the BCC Extruded Spline Material Count to 4
• twirl down the front material control group
• set the Front Texture Layer pop-up to use the precomp with the text and background

I hope this helps,

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

Steve BrameRe: BCC Extruded EPS problem
by on Mar 4, 2011 at 12:17:50 am

Unfortunately, I need the little triangular piece protruding from the bottom of the rectangle, which wont seem to work in this scenario.

Steve Brame

Return to posts index

by on Mar 4, 2011 at 12:29:14 am

Well if you need that little triangle bit and already have that as an Illustrator / EPS file then the problem is solved - just follow the same directions that I gave you but instead of using the BCC Extruded Spline filter use the BCC Extrude EPS filter. The same texturing rules apply.

Does that seem to make sense?

Otherwise you can use the BCC Extruded Spline filter as I mentioned already but instead of using the stock rounded rectangle shape, create your own path using AE mask tools and select that as the source for the extrusion in the filter.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

by on Mar 4, 2011 at 12:32:00 am

Wow! We cross-posted that, although I like your EPS solution better. I'll give that a shot.

Steve Brame

Return to posts index

by on Mar 4, 2011 at 12:49:33 am

Excellent! I'm going with the EPS solution...somewhat easier which is important at this stage of the learning curve. I've developed a new situation, though. In the example video the flying boxes have no lighting applied...they're just flat colors. Is there a way to achieve this look in the method I'm using?

Steve Brame

Return to posts index

by on Mar 4, 2011 at 1:03:03 am

Yes, there is. You'll have to play around with the lighting controls a bit but you can certainly achieve that look.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

by on Mar 4, 2011 at 12:30:20 am

I'm seeing that basing the spline on an AE Mask may work. Going to try that.

Steve Brame

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]