BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials Motion Graphics After Effects

Confusion With Boris AAF Transfer Workflow

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Thibault
Confusion With Boris AAF Transfer Workflow
on Feb 2, 2011 at 10:25:55 pm

I'm completely confused at how this workflow is supposed to happen between Boris AAF Transfer and Calibrated {Q} MXF when trying to get an cut sequence from Avid into FCP. I downloaded both of the demo’s and followed the instructions by PDF and/or the instructional videos online. This is what I'm doing right now:

In Media Composer 5 I export an AAF of the sequence using Boris AAF Transfer 2.0.0 and linking only to the MXF files. 

I then import that AAF into FCP 7.0.3 using Boris AAF Transfer, reconnect the media in the dia box, and click OK. The sequence & clips import fine but are not linked to the MXF media. When I try to do so manually I find that the imported clips are trying to reference ".dpx" files... which is weird cause the original Avid mediafiles are NOT labelled that and are DNxHD 24 fps clips.

I know I must be missing a step here… but where does Calibrated {Q} MXF fit into this? Am I supposed to be using the Calibrated {Q} import assist tool before importing the AAF into FCP or after or what? Am I supposed to re-wrap all the MXF files using the Calibrated {Q} import assist tool and then just force a reconnect to those files? Is this supposed to happen automatically?

Sooooo confusing. 

I guess my question is, how does Calibrated {Q} MXF work in conjunction with the Boris AAF Transfer plugin and how do I actually get the media and clips to connect? Ideally, I'd like to transfer my cut sequence from Avid into FCP and continue editing natively with the MXF files on disc. Is this possible? It says so on the Boris webpage. I contacted the good people at Calibrated {Q} and while they know Boris claims this all works with their component, they don’t know exactly how themselves.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. It seems like a powerful tool if I could get it to work.

MacBook Pro, 10.6.6, Core i7, 8GB DDR3, FCP 7.0.3, Avid Media Composer 5.0.3

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
Re: Confusion With Boris AAF Transfer Workflow
on Feb 3, 2011 at 2:33:54 pm

Hi Michael,

In order to transfer MXF media files, you will indeed have to have Calibrated installed on the system where you are importing the exported AAF file(s). There is really only one thing that you need to do in order for this to work, which is after you have installed Calibrated software and have restarted your system, you need to navigate to the directory containing the MXF files, then select one of them and open it with Quicktime. You need only perform this action once after you have installed the Calibrated software.

Other than that, as long as you have followed the export / import procedure that is listed in the help files then you should be able to continue to edit the MXF media inside of FCP.

Please let me know how this works for you.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

Michael Thibault
on Feb 3, 2011 at 7:40:31 pm

Thanks for the help. Unfortunately, that doesn’t seem to work for me. I imported the AAF as recommended and then went and opened the MXF files in Quicktime as you suggested. They open and play just fine. But when I go back into FCP, either by directly switching or even restarting, every clip still has a red slash thru it and is unlinked.

BTW the Calibrated {Q} MXF component works just fine if I simply drag the MXF clips straight into FCP. Everything links and plays without issue. So I’m thinking this must be a Boris AAF Transfer glitch.

To be a little more clear: When I import the AAF it seems to create clippings of some, not all, of the video clips. So, for example, if I have a clip named 6E-1.new.02 then I also get an additional subclip named the same. And strangely enough, they seem to want to reconnect to separate media items.

In this case the subclip wants to relink to:

Online Files:
Avid 5:Avid Mediafiles:MXF:1
Kj19A01.C965AF8E_4C4D406F7C

Offline:
Unspecified path:
ACAM0041_SCEBE_0006_TAKE_0018_canmA_1464637.dpx

You can see a screenshot here: http://f1.creativecow.net/file/1592/1592_fcpreconnect.jpg.zip

The subclip WILL FIND and relink to the online MXF file, but, like the master clip, cannot find the DPX file (The master clip only wants to reconnect to the “offline” DPX file).

What DPX file? (Or, to be specific, the “dpx.mov” file that FCp is actually looking for.)

So, basically, none of these clips will relink because they’re tied to these DPX files that, as far as I can tell, don’t exist.

Frustrating.

Here’s a thought: Could my problems have anything to do with having my media on an external firewire drive? Does Boris AAF Transfer require the media to be on the same, internal disk it’s installed on?

Or is Boris AAF Transfer just not ready for prime time? I cannot believe I’m the only person out there having these issues.

Again, thanks for your help!

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
on Feb 3, 2011 at 8:03:51 pm

Hi Michael,

Could you please send me the aaf file that you are attempting to import into FCP? I don't need any associated media elements, just the aaf file. You can send that to me privately via email at peterm@borisfx.com.

Also, when you send me the file, could you also please send me your phone number as we would like to call you to work through the issue with you.

Thanks,

Peter.

Return to posts index

Michael Thibault
on Feb 3, 2011 at 10:06:53 pm

On its way. Thanks for the help.

Return to posts index

Wolfgang Beck
on Apr 8, 2011 at 8:18:12 am

Dear All,

I have a similar problem. Setup is this:

I have an Avid MC 4.05 and export my sequence as AAF, but consolidate the data with 50 frames handles. I first tried to embedde the files into a single AAF file (would be the best) but didnt work. So I used the folder option, which created a "Avid Media Files" folder with all the files in it. Relink only does not work for me, since the FCP is installed on a different machine.

FCP is Version 7.03. I installed the Boris AAF Transfer Plugin 2.04 and imported the AAF. In the plugin dialog I was able to relink the files by pointing to the "Avid Media Files" folder. When I opened up the sequence, all files were offline. When I tried to relink from within FCP I noticed it was looking for files, which had the names of the clips within AVID. I attached some screenshots.

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
on Apr 8, 2011 at 1:31:24 pm

Hi Wolfgang,

The problem sounds simple - what is happening is that Apple FCP cannot natively read Avid .mxf files, so it lists them as offline. To help FCP read the mxf files you need to install Calibrated {Q} MXF onto the system that has FCP. You can download a trial version of the software from their site here:

http://www.calibratedsoftware.com/MXFImport_Mac.asp

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

Wolfgang Beck
on Apr 8, 2011 at 1:36:43 pm

Yeap thats what I just downloaded - will run to the other facility and try it out. Would be nice if this will be the solution.

What about the avid codec pack - I might need that too right? Somebody please program a one click solution - embedded aaf file - import to fcp - click yes - done ;)

Return to posts index

Wolfgang Beck
on Apr 12, 2011 at 9:23:19 am

it did not work... i installed calibrated Q - and was able to playback the mxfs in preview and see thumbnails of the files... but when using the boris aaf transfer the same problem...

importing goes well... boris aaf transfer dialog showing the files as online... but fcp still showing them offline... when i open relink dialog from fcp... i see fcp wants to relink it to a mxf file which has the same name as the clip... when i want to point to the right mxf... mxf is greyed out (option all video files)... when i say show all files... i can click on the mxf... press ok and nothing happens.

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
on Apr 19, 2011 at 8:14:23 pm

Hi Wolfgang,

At this stage I'm going to have to hand this over to support, who will be happy to walk you through the process of getting this to work. Please send them an email (support@borisfx.com) with your contact information and a brief description of the problem (you can point to this thread) and cc me (peterm@borisfx.com) on your message to them.

We will make this work for you - it's just a matter of getting the steps right.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]