BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

Spline shatter - stays in constraint of image

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Browning
Spline shatter - stays in constraint of image
on Feb 2, 2011 at 12:54:15 pm

Hi
Using the spline on a photoshop image, to create a shatter effect.
However the shatter goes to the size of the image and cuts off. Thus giving a square look to the shatter, rather than the normal looking - explode in every direction - type of way.

Does anyone have any help they can provide?
Maybe this sounds like a silly question.

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
Re: Spline shatter - stays in constraint of image
on Feb 3, 2011 at 2:35:46 pm

Hi Paul,

I'm not sure at all what you mean. If you can please provide a list of the specific steps that you are performing and also the software that you are using (host and plug-in) then I'll do what I can to assist you with the correct steps to achieve the effect that you have in mind.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

Paul Browning
on Feb 3, 2011 at 9:32:15 pm

Hi
Thanks for your offer of help.

Using BCC Spline plug in for After Effects (CS5) on a Photoshop file.
When the shatter happens, it does just explode out as it one would expect. Instead the shatter explodes, but then gets cut off around the edges. I'll include a screenshot.

You'll see on the stage view the shatter effect, which looks like its in a box - see the straight edges.

So the question is two-fold:
How does one get rid of this square box constraint, and have the shatter look realistic by falling outside this box?
Is it possible to have the shatter peices remian on screen? Again in reality, a shattered box would have pieces lying around.

As you can tell, bit of a novice, and trying hard to get to grips with this amazing software.
I really am very grateful for your help and support.

~ Paul

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
on Feb 4, 2011 at 4:20:08 pm

Hi Paul,

The PSD file that you are shattering is smaller than the composition in which is is being used. The filter cannot extend beyond the bounds of the image / clip to which it has been applied, which is why it appears to be cut off. The way around this is to precompose the psd layer to make it the same size as the composition, and then add the filter to the precomposed layer.

You can set the shatter in the filter to use manual time instead of automatically shattering the effect and manually animate the shatter effect with keyframes. If you do this, then you will be able to set the shatter particles to remain on-screen.

I hope this helps,

Peter.

Return to posts index

Paul Browning
on Feb 4, 2011 at 8:17:48 pm

Arh I get it now.
I'll give the pre-comp a try.

Thank you very much, you've saved me a terrible headache - LOL
Not sure I'm brave enough to try manual timing and animating, but I'll have a play.

Thank you very very much !!!
~ Paul

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]