BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

Match Move Motion Tracker only tracks from the start in Vegas 10 timeline

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert St-OngeMatch Move Motion Tracker only tracks from the start in Vegas 10 timeline
by on Jan 14, 2011 at 3:46:08 am

In Vegas 10c using BCC Match Move, Motion Tracker will only track on the fly if the event is placed at 00:00:00.00 on the timeline.

If the event is placed somewhere else on the timeline, track on fly will have the message box appear: move the timeline cursor to a previously tracked frame and click... even if I haven't tried tracking.

Is this some kind of limitation or a bug or have missed something?

At this point, I can only do multiple Match Move events with nested .veg.

Thanks

Return to posts index

John RofranoRe: Match Move Motion Tracker only tracks from the start in Vegas 10 timeline
by on Jan 14, 2011 at 1:56:28 pm

[Robert St-Onge] "If the event is placed somewhere else on the timeline, track on fly will have the message box appear: move the timeline cursor to a previously tracked frame and click... even if I haven't tried tracking."
This message is trying to tell you that you have to place the timeline cursor at the beginning of the event before you can start tracking. I don't believe it matters where the event is on the timeline, as long as you place the cursor at the beginning of the event. I'm not at my editing Windows workstation today (I'm on my Linux laptop) so I can't check for you but try it again with the cursor at the start of the event.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

peter mcauleyRe: Match Move Motion Tracker only tracks from the start in Vegas 10 timeline
by on Jan 14, 2011 at 2:09:27 pm

Hi John,

You hit the nail on the head - all that is required by the motion tracker is that the play head be at the start of the media event. The media can exist anywhere on the timeline.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

Robert St-OngeRe: Match Move Motion Tracker only tracks from the start in Vegas 10 timeline
by on Jan 14, 2011 at 2:23:04 pm

Hi Peter,

Just saw your reply, play head is right on the start of the media event. Motion Tracking track on the fly will only work if the event is at 00:00:00.00 and won't work if it is sitting elsewhere on the timeline.

Return to posts index

Robert St-OngeRe: Match Move Motion Tracker only tracks from the start in Vegas 10 timeline
by on Jan 14, 2011 at 2:14:01 pm

I understand that I have to place the cursor at the beginning of the event in order to get the track on fly to work but it won't work unless the event is placed at 00:00:00.00 on the timeline.

I did try Motion Tracking from within BCC Witness Protection just to see if that would still work well in Vegas 10c, having the event placed elsewhere on the timeline and it did work fine.

I would appreciate if you could check it out on your system as I just gave it another try and I do have the same problem.

Thanks John

Return to posts index

peter mcauleyRe: Match Move Motion Tracker only tracks from the start in Vegas 10 timeline
by on Jan 14, 2011 at 2:38:43 pm

Hi Robert,

So here's the explaination for what you are seeing.

Because BCC MatchMove is a multi-input filter, it uses the Composite Mode to exist and when in Composite Mode Vegas reads the entire timeline as one event. That's why you are only seeing this behavior with certain filters. This leaves you with two options:

• Use a nested sequence

or

• Offset the Tracking Start Time in the filter by setting the Start Tracking Frame parameter value (in the Motion Tracker group of controls) to the corresponding frame value from the timeline. For instance, I placed a clip in a timeline with the media head at 39;13. Then I added the BCC Match Move filter. Then I set the Start Tracking Frame parameter to a value of 1183 and enabled Track on the Fly and started tracking.

I hope this helps,

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

John RofranoRe: Match Move Motion Tracker only tracks from the start in Vegas 10 timeline
by on Jan 14, 2011 at 2:58:10 pm

Yea, Match Move is a 2:1 Transform so it works differently as Peter pointed out. It is applied at the track level.

The rule to remember is:
  • If you applied the FX to an event, the cursor must be at the beginning of the event.
  • If you applied the FX to the track (like a 2:1 Transform) then the cursor must be at the beginning of the track (or as Peter said, you must use an offset to the start of the event for tracking)
Hope this helps,

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

by on Jan 14, 2011 at 3:42:28 pm

Thanks Peter and John,

Nested .veg was and will likely be my workaround.

Offsetting the Tracking Start Time is not an easy task since the filter values are numerical and I wish I could have them match the Vegas timeline time and frames (or samples perhaps) but I don't think is is possible. It would be great if those values could match in some future update.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]