BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

Optical Flow not flowing...

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael PeeleOptical Flow not flowing...
by on Dec 16, 2010 at 2:12:30 am

I am having an issue with BCC6 Optical Flow in FCP 7.0.3 on a ProRes 422 1920x180 29.97 timeline. We have AJA Kona LHi cards in the systems.

I get a ONE slight skip in the clip towards the beginning (1st couple of seconds). Almost like the clip was moving forward fine, goes back a frame, and then moves on again. After the jump, playback is flawless.

My procedure for is to create a slug of the same duration as my source clip. I add the Optical Flow filter to the clip. I add my source clip to the source layer of the effect (dragging it from timeline). Set my velocity (and any pertinent field/frame rate settings). Hit render. Wait.

At first I thought this was related to differing source clip/sequence settings, but now I see that all of my optical flow renders have this jump/skip/glitch. At least on ProRes timelines, I haven't tried others yet.

Other than that, the renders look awesome. I have tried a bunch of different setting to alleviate the problem, but no luck.

Any ideas?

P.S. - Also fun is DVCPROHD 720p60 as source for Optical Flow on a ProRes 29.97 timeline - 100% velocity is 50% speed on render. I guess that makes sense. Kinda. Didn't notice a frame jump in that render, I would have to check again. Maybe the issue is field related (DVCPROHD source was progressive).

Return to posts index

Boris YamnitskyRe: Optical Flow not flowing...
by on Dec 20, 2010 at 5:13:58 am

I can't explain the jump. One suggestion I have is to try BCC7 and see if that works better. We mostly test with ProRes HD so I would not expect any problems.

Boris Yamnitsky

Return to posts index

Michael PeeleRe: Optical Flow not flowing...
by on Jan 16, 2011 at 2:20:33 am

I have upgraded to version 7 and I am still having the issue - I created a newer post in this forum with more info.

Thanks for your help

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved