BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

Revisited: memory leak in RED 4.3.3

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Yarbrough
Revisited: memory leak in RED 4.3.3
on Dec 3, 2010 at 5:32:27 pm

I've been rendering some :30 HD graphic spots (with alphas) but RED crashes after one or two. I watch the available memory in the render dialog drop from 2gb down to 550mb just before the program abruptly exits. No error logs are generated. I've tried splitting the file, no joy. To add insult to injury, I often cannot re-open the saved file. The program gives an error message "settings are not applicable in this version of Boris RED"

I'm on the verge of a major upgrade... I'm not sure RED is in that plan, based on these problems. Can you tell me these problems can be addressed?

best,
Scott

Avid MC 4.05, HPxw8200, XP sp3, 3gb RAM

Return to posts index

Boris Yamnitsky
Re: Revisited: memory leak in RED 4.3.3
on Dec 5, 2010 at 4:35:37 pm

that problem is hard to diagnose without seeing the settings. If you still have RED setting files please send over to support@borisfx.com

I hate to send problems direct to support but in some cases that's the only way to solve them. If support people can't figure them out they'll escalate to QA, engineers or product managers.

Boris Yamnitsky
BorisFX

Return to posts index

Scott Yarbrough
on Dec 13, 2010 at 6:54:12 pm

Sorry Boris, you landed in my spam folder...
Dumb question: how do I find the settings file?

best,
Scott

Return to posts index

Scott Yarbrough
on Dec 15, 2010 at 7:23:39 pm

OK, I found it and have sent it to support.

My first work-around is to stop a render when the available memory dips below 1gb, save and restart the program and finish the render. Not acceptable when I have 4 such sequences to render. Are there ways to better manage the available memory?

best,
Scott

Avid MC 4.05, xp sp3, 3gb, hp xw8200 zeon

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]