BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

Crashes in Vegas Pro 10

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andreas Schwabe
Crashes in Vegas Pro 10
on Nov 17, 2010 at 6:51:41 pm

Hi there. I've run into a bit of a bugbear with Vegas Pro 10. When applying the BCC Chroma Key filer, Vegas crashes out (generic error message, windows looking for a solution etc).

It tends to be unpredictable. I'm wondering if it's a memory error. I've increased the preview RAM (not that it should have anything to do with it).

Is there a known bug/issue and fix/workaround?

My apologies for being vague, but it seems to be BCC related since I'm not seeing this behaviour when using the standard plugins, and it hasn't happened (so far) with any other projects (with are BCC free).

Return to posts index

Boris Yamnitsky
Re: Crashes in Vegas Pro 10
on Nov 17, 2010 at 7:55:23 pm

we've not noticed any instability with BCC Chromakey filter. It should not require additional ram setting to render so you can bring it down to standard 180Meg. If you continue to experience a problem please contact our support. We'd like to reproduce it in-house.

Boris Yamnitsky
BorisFX

Return to posts index

Andreas Schwabe
on Nov 18, 2010 at 4:27:56 pm

RAM definitely shouldn't be an issue in my case. i7 920, 12GB of RAM, and 4 TB of drive space, running Win7 64-bit. ATI Radeon 4870.

Sadly, the problem is easily reproducable. You can see a video of an example crash at http://www.schwabe.ca/video.html

I have already submitted a report on the BorisFX website (twice - a week apart but haven't heard back yet at all).

Thanks,
~A

Return to posts index

Jeremy Ellis
on Nov 18, 2010 at 6:34:38 pm

Hello Andreas,

I will take a look into this for you and if you do have any further information you can email it directly to me at jeremye@borisfx.com

Thank You
Jeremy
Boris Support

Return to posts index

Alf Hanna
on Dec 2, 2010 at 8:45:19 pm

I am looking for a better chroma keying tool for Vegas 10.a but worried about this thread. I'll check with the Boris web site, but wondering if this is still a problem. I too have a similar configured system. i7, dual quad core, 8 GBs RAM. W7 Ultimate 64 w/Vegas 10a.

Willing to buy but not sure it will work? Crashes I don't need at this moment...if ever...(G).

Alf

Return to posts index

Andreas Schwabe
on Dec 2, 2010 at 10:03:16 pm

Hi. It looks like BorisFX has recently posted updates to BCC7 for Vegas Pro 10. I'm happy to report that it's quite stable on my system and for my use (which is basic keying of interviews /testimonials and scripted dialogue shot against green screen).

Download the trial from the BorisFX website. There may have been some issue with my hardware, but whatever they did in version 4.0.3 seems to have improved stability from the consistent crashing I was seeing. That said, I'll run tests for a couple of weeks and then migrate from AE (if BFX is finally more stable, it'll be a huge improvement in my workflow, since the keying tools (Chroma Key and Matte Choker) and very good.

Return to posts index

Alf Hanna
on Dec 3, 2010 at 7:02:33 am

I just downloaded the 64 bit version of Boris Continuum and compared their chroma key to my work with Sony's native Chroma key. Day and night. Much better output with the same tool with no different work. I'll send pointers to the files side by side over the weekend, but now I'll test for stability and compare with native FCP green screen on my second editing bay.

If the stability is consistent, and easier to use, I'll likely buy the package. I'll try to remember to come back in a week or two, but if you don't hear from me, it's likely that there were no problems.

Thanks.

Alf

Return to posts index

Mark Nicholas
on Dec 4, 2010 at 8:34:31 pm

Same here - repeated crashes - Vegas 10 - x64
8 gb ram - i7 super duper stable system

I had the crashes repeating every time I tried to remove a filter if the filter check box was still on.

Crashed again randomly several times - so my diagnosis was a bit off. Very frustrating.

Just downloaded the trial about 1/2 hour ago - so it is Boris' most recent for sure.

Any fixes? We have a product showcase party for our club and are going to highlight video products for us DSLR shooters, but this seems to be too early of a product release to show. Ideas as to what might be going on?

Mark
http://www.meetup.com/rbphotos/
marknicholasonline.com

Return to posts index

Andreas Schwabe
on Dec 5, 2010 at 1:53:16 am

Hi Mark,

I've been in touch back and forth with someone at BorisFX but haven't heard anything back yet in terms of diagnosis or fix.

While I'm sorry you're having the same problems I am, I'm grateful I'm not going nuts.

Do me a favor: I have a habit of using the FX as floating panels. I've been trying everything, and one thing on my long list of "to try" is docking the floating panel. I tried it on my work system (haven't tried it on an alternate system yet), but it SEEMED to give me a bit more stability. I have no idea what that could possibly have to do with anything, but I've had weirder things happen (like a network cable just spontaneously failing).

I'll keep you posted, and please do the same if you find something that provides some stability. The plugins are really good, but right now I can't rely on them.

Return to posts index

Mark Nicholas
on Dec 5, 2010 at 3:09:57 am

Thanks. Docked and more stable -

One recurring crash was when I would hit the "enter" key in the text box (found in a number of the plug-ins). Trying to get a two line piece of text caused recurring crashes, even after rebooting.

Also, found crashes to diminish when I would "uncheck" the plugin in the Vegas effect window before deleting it. When I didn't, would crash with consistency.

Another funny bug when the length of a clip was longer than the effect, an adjustment to the end of the clip would cause all kinds of confusion in the cache, and could corrupt the output on the render.

I will offer this assessment ... that when stable, it is quite awesome for only one day of playing with such a complex tool. The film destroying plug in is as realistic as I've ever seen (far far better than magic bullet in my opinion) and renders instantly. A bunch of the other effects will take much more time to work through, but so far so good. Now if I could just keep this thing working, I'll actually buy it.

Return to posts index

Andreas Schwabe
on Dec 5, 2010 at 4:18:29 am

Okay, now I'm really confused. I seriously didn't think the docking would make any difference (I thought it was just me). Well, I'll pass along a note to the tech I'm corresponding with and let him know.

I haven't tried the check/uncheck thing (it didn't actually occur to me). Though, the docked effect stability is intriguing.

And I have to agree, since I end up doing a lot of green screen work (which I hate), NOT using AE and just doing it natively in Vegas is a huge plus...if only I could do it with confidence.

Keep me posted if you see anything else.

Return to posts index

Boris Yamnitsky
on Dec 5, 2010 at 2:43:06 pm

We can now confirm instability when deleting an OFX filter in Vegas 10.a. The problem affects any OFX filer set, not just BCC. We know that the problem will be solved in the next Vegas update but I can't really comment on it. I hope to see the issue resolved really soon. In the meantime, the workarounds mentioned above may work. As long as you avoid deleting any filter the program should be stable. Instead of deleting, perhaps disabling is sufficient. I'm very sorry for the inconvenience.

Boris Yamnitsky
BorisFX

Return to posts index

Andreas Schwabe
on Dec 5, 2010 at 4:23:48 pm

Hi Boris!

Thank you very much for the update! That's very good news indeed and I appreciate the BorisFX team's pursuit of a solution. In spite of this initial hiccup, you can see from the other comments in this thread, we all see the benefits of BBC7, but were irked by the crashes.

I look forward to unleash the power of BBC7 after the next Vegas patch.

Cheers,
~A

Return to posts index

Mark Nicholas
on Dec 5, 2010 at 5:15:46 pm

Boris,

Thanks for letting us know.

Still... there is that nagging issue about trying to enter a second line in the text box. Lots of crashes there too - easily replicated.

Lastly, lots of problems when an effect is not perfectly timed with the end of a clip - seems to drop some kind of fragment in the render (both real time and output renders) - - I was used to a couple of different ways that this could work (running the duration of the effect and freezing on last frame, or stretching, etc.), but this is an indication of an instability of some kind. I can open up a new topic if that helps, but it is another nagging issue I'm seeing.

mark

Return to posts index

Boris Yamnitsky
on Dec 6, 2010 at 3:00:03 am

We'll try to reproduce the other two issues tomorrow. I will report our findings on this thread.

Boris Yamnitsky
BorisFX

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]