BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

Seeking Advice - Considering Snow Leopard...again

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
peter toursSeeking Advice - Considering Snow Leopard...again
by on Nov 16, 2010 at 2:34:50 pm

I use Red and BCC heavily in my sequences. Any warnings I should know about? I have time now (boy do I have time) between projects and am considering once again upgrading from 10.5.8 to SL. All comments and advice welcome.

2009 Mac Pro Dual Quad Nahalem (sic) 2.93
12gb Ram
Apple Raid Card for bays 2-4
FCP 7.0.3
Red 4.3.4

Peter Tours
TnT Video Services, Inc.
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Return to posts index

peter mcauleyRe: Seeking Advice - Considering Snow Leopard...again
by on Nov 16, 2010 at 4:14:37 pm

Hi Peter,

Although I am unaware of any issues that you might experience with the upgrade, I would strongly advise you to clone your main system HD before you make any changes. Many people use Carbon Copy Cloner to do this - if you haven't heard of this app it's donate-ware, can be downloaded quickly and easily from the web and seems to work very well. In fact, I've used it myself with 100 percent success. The reasoning behind this suggestion is, of course, that should anything unexpected occur, you can always go back to a set up that you are confident will work.

And should you encounter any unexpected behavior after the switch, please get in touch with our support guys - I'm sure one of them can walk you through any issue with the system.

Return to posts index

Matt LarsonRe: Seeking Advice - Considering Snow Leopard...again
by on Nov 19, 2010 at 7:12:56 pm

I finally updated yesterday and so far so good. As for Boris, I installed the trial version of BCC 3D objects for AE CS5 and it has worked as advertised.

Be sure to install Quicktime 7 after you update to SL. You have to put the disk in and update it via the "optional Installs" folder.

BTW, I second the Carbon Copy Cloner advice. I erase and install (although that option is missing from the SL update) and I always forget to copy some file over before I erase. Luckily everything is cloned on a hard drive in the drawer.

2 x3Ghz Quad MacPro
Mac OS X 10.5.5
QT 7.5.5
FCP 6.0.5
AJA Kona 3 (6.0.1 drivers)
G-Speed XL 12 RAID

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved