BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

Motion track in Continuum for Vegas 10

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Hinkel
Motion track in Continuum for Vegas 10
on Nov 3, 2010 at 11:59:39 pm

I am trying to imitate what was shown in today's webinar with the the witness protection FX and motion tracking. I have a clip deer walking across the field that I want to highlight. All I get after adjusting target size and frame is the message telling me to go back to a previously tracked frame and clear the cache and reset the target deal.

There is no previous tracked frame. What am I missing here? Thanks

Return to posts index

Boris Yamnitsky
Re: Motion track in Continuum for Vegas 10
on Nov 4, 2010 at 12:48:03 pm

Our guess is that you are not on the first frame of the clip. Move your timeline cursor to the very first frame (frame 0) and try that. We are thinking of refining our message to make it more clear.

Cheers,

Boris Yamnitsky
BorisFX

Return to posts index

Mike Hinkel
on Nov 4, 2010 at 3:44:42 pm

Boris, sorry, I can't get it to go. I have used different clips with motion tracker as well as diffent effects with the tracking option. I watched the method from the tutorial on the promo page and still scratching my head. Timeline cursor is at zero to start. Would clip quality have anything to do with it?

Return to posts index

Robert St-Onge
on Nov 5, 2010 at 3:35:04 am

I had it working several times but now I have installed the latest trial update and I get the same problem as Mike. (using 64 bit)

I have different shots and no success motion tracking. It will track a small portion and then up comes the warning, so I have to clear the cache and bring the cursor just before the message appears and keep on doing this to many times.

One question: BCC will have extruded 3D text soon for Vegas 10, will we be able to motion track the text to a background shot?

FYI, I also noticed when keyframing fx, that the keyframes when set to manual or split manual don't work if set to curves. I also get occasional crashes using somes FX.

Return to posts index

Mike Hinkel
on Nov 5, 2010 at 4:37:03 am

I have the 64 bit version of the software trial also. I am looking to purchase, but a little leery of something else that may not perform as advertised.

Return to posts index

Boris Yamnitsky
on Nov 5, 2010 at 11:39:50 am

"I have different shots and no success motion tracking. It will track a small portion and then up comes the warning, so I have to clear the cache and bring the cursor just before the message appears and keep on doing this to many times."

This sounds like you do not have enough RAM set to preview to RAM. Our motion tracking feature relies on the host being able to preview to RAM the entire clip or a significant portion of it. Dirk showed how we can change the amount of RAM Vegas allocates for preview in preferences. But of course you need to have enough physical memory on your computer. I suspect this may be a problem. If you do not have enough memory you may need to motion track in small increments. Dirk was using a machine with 8 gig of RAM installed under 64 bit OS.

If your computer is fast enough and your project size is small (SD) then you may be able to motion track on playback as Vegas will play back without skipping frames. John Rofrano shows this method here:

If you continue to have problems, please contact our support.

Boris Yamnitsky
BorisFX

Return to posts index

Robert St-Onge
on Nov 5, 2010 at 1:08:22 pm

Thanks Boris,

Most likely a memory issue. I was using Canon DSLR footage, but I did managed to get motion tracking working again. What I did was copied my event to a new Vegas session, motion tracked it and copied it back to my existing Vegas project and that solved my problem.

I am using a quad core 2.66 with 6gb ram.

Return to posts index

Mike Hinkel
on Nov 6, 2010 at 1:38:01 am

I have a quadcore with 5156 MB of physical memory. I am totally baffled. I went into RAM preview and the setting wss @ 350 of a possible 3850 or so. Very troubling to say the least.

Return to posts index

Robert St-Onge
on Nov 6, 2010 at 4:24:46 am

Did some more motion tracking and got some inconsistent results, sometimes it doesn't track while some other times it will track using the same shot and fx.

Still trying to figure out if I should go with BCC or not. I was really looking into motion tracking, but I still don't know if it will motion track the new 3D text which isn't available for Vegas 10 yet. I have wrote to BorisFX and got no answer yet.
I don't have much use for BCC other than chromakey, lens flares, 3D text and 4 or 5 FX's and, motion tracking them!

BTW Mike, you might want to check that Quantize to frames is enabled

Return to posts index

Boris Yamnitsky
on Nov 6, 2010 at 11:44:56 am

"Did some more motion tracking and got some inconsistent results, sometimes it doesn't track while some other times it will track using the same shot and fx."

To get consistent results, increase your RAM preview to max, place timeline cursor to first frame, reset cache. These are basic steps that are necessary in Vegas. In our testing they always work.

" I still don't know if it will motion track the new 3D text which isn't available for Vegas 10 yet. I have wrote to BorisFX and got no answer yet."

Our extruded text feature does not include motion tracking. There was no such demand in the past. But I'll keep your request in mind.

"I don't have much use for BCC other than chromakey, lens flares, 3D text and 4 or 5 FX's and, motion tracking them!"

All these features are available as BCC Units which are individually priced. Check out:

http://www.borisfx.com/units/

and remember that units are always credited toward the whole set so there is no risk in starting with a unit or two first.

Boris Yamnitsky
BorisFX

Return to posts index

Robert St-Onge
on Nov 7, 2010 at 6:33:43 pm

Thanks Boris, your responses are very much appreciated.

I am really testing out BCC 7 and seeing if it can be part of my workflow or otherwise go RED 5.

I usually apply lens flares to text in Vegas and I noticed that when I apply a BCC lens flare (or advanced flare) over Sony Text, the background text becomes black, while with Vegas flares, it applies to the text and the text background remains transparent. If I use the light sweep over text, it either crashes or the control panel gets blank, no more settings available even if I restart Vegas. I was wondering if some settings will be made available in order to have these fxs act like Vegas fxs do over text, therefore being applied only on the surface of the text?

Lastly, will we be able to select the presets in BCC 7 with the keyboard up and down arrows, otherwise it makes navigating the presets slower?

BTW, the chromakey plugin is quite impressive just out of the box and so is the quality of lens flares.

Thanks again

Return to posts index

Dirk de Jong
Re: Lens Flare on Title - was - Motion track in Continuum for Vegas 10
on Nov 8, 2010 at 12:23:16 pm

currently the way to do this (Lens Flare over a title) would be to apply the BCC Lens Flare to the title track (rather than video event) and position it after the composite node in the effects chain (dragging it to the right in the effects chain)

I posted a Vegas project showing this setup here ;
http://borisfx.cachefly.net/borisfx/Dirk temp/lensFlareOverTitle.veg.zip

Return to posts index

Robert St-Onge
on Nov 8, 2010 at 3:19:05 pm

Got your file, btw the link is not working, it should be:

http://borisfx.cachefly.net/borisfx/Dirk temp/lensFlareOverTitle.veg.zip

This is great, but I also wanted to have the flare only on the text without spilling over, now after watching the webminar again, I heard that the Lens Flare and Lens Flare Advanced plugins should be getting the pixel chooser option, will that be in the next update or any time soon? That should solve my problem and also having native BCC text should also be beneficial in that matter.

Thanks Dirk

Return to posts index

Dirk de Jong
on Nov 8, 2010 at 4:52:01 pm

here's a pass I took at creating that look (Lens Flare appearing only within text character boundaries) but doing it by compositing layers in the Vegas timeline (rather than by any built-in filter feature)

http://www.clickscape.net/lensFlareInTitle.veg.zip

I agree offering some pixelchooser / obscuration layer options in Lens Flare will be a nice feature but I expect that's coming more in the next major version (BCC8) rather than in a near point update

Return to posts index

Robert St-Onge
on Nov 8, 2010 at 10:58:16 pm

I will look into it, thanks so much for all your input!

Much appreciated

Rob

Return to posts index

Boris Yamnitsky
on Nov 6, 2010 at 11:32:10 am

"I went into RAM preview and the setting wss @ 350 of a possible 3850 or so. Very troubling to say the least."

Are you saying you turned on 350 Meg out of maximum 3.850 Gig of RAM? That's not a lot. Are you in HD project? HD frames are 4 meg each so the best you can preview is 80 frames or one second of video.

Boris Yamnitsky
BorisFX

Return to posts index

Mike Hinkel
on Nov 8, 2010 at 3:35:18 am

I went the wrong way on the RAM. I watched the webinar posted on the website again. Won't matter much now as my trial period has expired. I am still on the fence here. Thanks for all your time.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]