Hi I tried searching for my question but couldn't find it in the tutorials, if it has already been answered I apologize but this is driving me nuts. I want text (a person's name) to follow on top of the person's head on the video as he moves around throughout the scene. Kind of a way to identify a person. I tried finding it under text on path, but Boris Graffiti doesn't seem to like me doing it that way as i can't forward the video to follow the head. I would like to do this under boris graffiti but if it can be done through pinnacle studio 14 that would be fine too. Any help or any suggestions would be great. Thanks again.
The effect that you are trying to achieve is best done with a motion tracker. It's possible to match move the text manually and in Graffiti this is your only option as Graffiti does not include a Motion Tracker. However, having said that, you can download RED 4 from our web site 9borisfx.com/downloads) and use the motion tracker in RED to achieve the effect in short order. Because you are already familiar with the user interface in Graffiti you will already know how to use RED as Graffiti is simply a subset of the RED product. If you want to do that, you can follow these instructions to motion tracker the text to follow the movement of thee live action:
• import into the timeline the clip that you want to track
• click in the background of the timeline to deselect all tracks
• select Filters>Motion>Motion Tracker - this action adds a motion tracker filter to the timeline
• twirl down the motion tracker filter so that you see the Source sub-track
• drag the clip that you want to track onto the Source sub-track
• click on the main track of the motion tracker filter to bring the motion tracker controls into the controls window
• click on the TV monitor icon on the motion tracker filter - this action opens a new viewer window that displays the video to be tracked and with a red rectangle within a rectangle, which is the tracker search and target region.
• position the tracker over a group of pixels that you want to follow in the scene
• in the control window there is a small green button with a crosshair - this is the tracker analyze start button. click on this button to start tracking the pixel array that you selected with the tracker search / target rectangles.
• once tracking is complete you can close out the new tracker viewer
• all of the tracking information is now contained within the filter - simply drag the filter onto any track and click on the motion tracker filter to see the controls in the control window. Then go to the Apply tab and select the target for the tracking data (x/y position, pivot, camera etc.)
To offset the tracking data, you must follow these steps:
• go back to the viewer of the motion tracker filter. To do that, click on the TV monitor icon on the main tracker of the motion tracker filter
• observe that there are small red squares that follow the motion of the pixels that you tracked. With the arrow tool selected, drag over these red squares in the viewer window to select them.
• hold down the shift key and drag the selected red boxes to reposition them, thereby offsetting the motion tracker path.