BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

BCC 7 vs BLUE/RED combo

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul James Chatman
BCC 7 vs BLUE/RED combo
on Oct 17, 2010 at 10:50:47 pm

I have been interested in this software for a year now, but did not buy because I am confused by the many different offerings. I sent an e-mail asking the difference between FX/Graffiti and RED4 was told that RED4 has everything that is in Graffiti and FX plus more.

Well now there is BLUE2, which a lot of RED4, plus more, but not as supported as RED and uses it's it's own settings format (meaning it's settings can't be imported into other Boris products). AND THEN there's the Continuum Complete (BCC) series - which just confuses me entirely!!

What is the difference be between BCC7 and BLUE/RED. I know BLUE is RED, sort of, but what is BCC7?

Would I spend 2K$ on all three only to get overloaded with redundant features or is BCC v7 all of BLUE v2(v3?)/RED v4(v5?), so getting them would be pointless.

The web site offers no real insight at all into BCC what is supposed as compared to RD/BLUE.

Thanks guys.

Paul

hello

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
Re: BCC 7 vs BLUE/RED combo
on Oct 18, 2010 at 1:05:42 pm

Hi Paul,

I'll do my best to try and clear up any confusion you may have with regard to the differences between the products that we offer.

BCC (Boris Continuum Complete) and FEC (Final Effects Complete) are plug-in image processing filters that do not have a separate user interface. They use the host application's interface to provide control over the many different parameters in each filter.

Blue, RED, Graffiti, and FX are plug-in image processing, titling and 3D compositing applications that have a custom user interface to control the effect generation.

Graffiti and FX are subsets of RED - Graffiti is for titling, FX is for image processing.

RED includes all of Graffiti, all of FX, most of the filters from BCC and a few filters from FEC. It has the ability to generate complex spline based path masks, animated or static, and uses a vertical stacked timeline to generate composites as one might do with After Effects, Motion, Shake or any other 3D compositing application. It can be used as a plug-in or as a standalone application as it has it's own render engine built-in to the application.

Blue is very much like like RED but has the ability to import 3D models and includes hardware rendering, so it's extremely efficient at generating 3D titles and effects in a very short amount of time.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

Paul James Chatman
on Oct 19, 2010 at 10:08:03 am

Thanks, Peter. Soo..would not I go wrong by getting all three of them?
I've downloaded all of the trials, and am currently working with Graffiti (I like it) so RED is definitely in the bucket. Being a Vegas Pro user, BCC is a no-brainer. But I'm interested in BLUE as well.

In your opinion will getting all three be over kill? I want to be set for all kinds of editing. I don't like getting saddled with buying something than being hit with "Oh you have to buy this also! And this, and this, and that!" Reallusion's dopey-crappy iClone 4 Standard comes to my haunting mind, grrrrrrrrr >>:((

Thanks.

hello

Return to posts index

Paul James Chatman
on Oct 19, 2010 at 10:34:00 am

Also, I should have mentioned as well will the Training DVDs for BCC (Adobe, Avix, Apple) be relevant for Sony as well? Will I be able to follow along, or will there be training DVDs for Sony Vegas Pro as well?

hello

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
on Oct 19, 2010 at 2:43:05 pm

Hi Paul,

Although the training DVD's are host specific, you can get a lot of useful information out of them regardless of the host that you are using. We don't currently have plans to create a training DVD for Vegas but that may change as demand for this grows.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
on Oct 19, 2010 at 2:32:32 pm

Hi Paul,

Well which product you end up with truly depends on the content that you need to generate. If you need titling and compositing, and it sounds like you do need that, then it's hands down RED. You already stated that BCC is a no brainer and I totally agree - easy to use with host native UI and fast.

So I guess the question is whether or not Blue will fit your workflow. To arrive at the answer to this you need to ask yourself the following questions:

• Do I need a real-time 3D graphics generator? Because it's all hardware based, working with Blue provides the ability to design and tweak 3D graphics on the fly. I think it's a better 3D graphics environment than RED. It also includes shaders and deformers which allow for more interesting designs. In fact, I used Blue to create the opener that we use for the BorisTV tutorials.
• Are shaders and deformers for 3D graphics important? Shaders give you bump maps, texture maps and reflection maps all in real time. Deformers provide things like bend/taper/twist and shatter explosion effects and 3D curls etc. All in real time. These are not available in RED.

If these are important then you should strongly consider adding Blue to your arsenal of effects. And if you call in to our internal sales guys you should be able to work directly with them to get a good deal on the software as a package.

I hope this helps.

Peter.

Return to posts index

Paul James Chatman
on Oct 19, 2010 at 11:11:13 am

Will BLUE work with Sony Vegas Pro 9 (or 10)?

Thanks again

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
on Oct 19, 2010 at 3:08:05 pm

Hey Paul,

The workflow that I'd suggest for Vegas and Blue is that you use Blue in standalone mode and not as a plug-in. Just import the render files that you create with Blue into Vegas. If you need to change something then open up the Blue project, make the change and rerender.

I offer this workflow because Blue is hardware based and renders so fast it's ridiculous. When I use Blue I tend to use it in standalone mode and I think most people follow that workflow.

Currently the installer for Blue will not install the product into Vegas but I suspect that to change soon. That does not prevent you from using it in standalone mode though.

I hope this helps,

Peter.

Return to posts index

Paul James Chatman
on Oct 20, 2010 at 7:37:54 am

Thanks Peter, you've answered all of my questions.
BCC7 and RED4 seem the logical direction. I've looked at the tutorials for BLUE and am impressed, but I'll hold off for now. Thanks again!

hello

Return to posts index

Theo van Laar
on Oct 23, 2010 at 3:05:53 pm

'Currently the installer for Blue will not install the product into Vegas but I suspect that to change soon'

Does that mean that Blue is also going to support more videocards? I tried the trial for Blue sometime ago and I got the message that it could not work with my videocard (Geforce GT240M).

Theo

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]