BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

Window Burn removal

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Heather MahoneyWindow Burn removal
by on Oct 13, 2010 at 4:33:28 pm

I'm trying to remove window burn timecode from an old film. I just downloaded the trial version of BCC. I need to figure out the best way to remove the TC. Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

peter mcauleyRe: Window Burn removal
by on Oct 13, 2010 at 6:55:11 pm

Hi Heather,

BCC does not really have a filter that will remove the timecode burn from the video clip that you are working with. There is a filter in the package called BCC PixelFixer but that was designed for repairing much smaller groups of pixels than you are dealing with. There is also a filter called BCc Wire Remover which might help but it was really designed for wire / rig removal and not really for removing timecode burn. Having said that, the Wire Remover filter might be your best shot as solving this problem with a BCC filter.

Other than that, there are a couple of other options available:

• you can obscure the timecode with BCC Mosaic or BCC Pyramid Blur
• you can resize the video to effectively crop out the portion with the timecode

I hope this helps.

Return to posts index

Steve PankowRe: Window Burn removal
by on Oct 13, 2010 at 7:59:10 pm

Window burns are a good thing - they keep people from stealing footage.

Return to posts index

Heather MahoneyRe: Window Burn removal
by on Oct 13, 2010 at 8:26:13 pm

In this situation window burn is not a good thing. This is a film from 1933 that for whatever reason the only version I have to work with has the timecode burned into the lower left of the frame. It cannot be cropped out without losing a lot of the image. I have decided to go into Adobe AE and use the wire removal tool. I was able to remove the time code but there is a slight blurry area that I just have to make look as good as possible. I know there is no way to totally seamlessly remove the unfortunate window burn. Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved