BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials Motion Graphics After Effects

Boris RED/FX - Sony Vegas crash: Memory leak?

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stefan Scheidegger
Boris RED/FX - Sony Vegas crash: Memory leak?
on Jul 29, 2010 at 6:44:56 am

I am very interested in buying Boris RED or FX for using it in Sony Vegas 9.0. I am currently testing the trial of FX 9.3.2 and RED 4.3.3 on 2 different WinXP machines. Unfortunately I am experiencing consistent crashes when rendering a project of about 1 hour in Vegas using FX/RED as a filter. Investigating the problem I found that rendering short clips works perfectly. However, memory comsumption seems to grow with every rendered frame and finally causes Vegas to crash for clips longer than 5 minutes.

Any idea about this problem? Is there a setting in Boris or Vegas that can prevent this behavior?

Thanks a lot!

Return to posts index

Stefan Scheidegger
Re: Boris RED/FX - Sony Vegas crash: Memory leak?
on Jul 29, 2010 at 3:32:46 pm

I have just run another test: I used RED Engine (without Sony Vegas) to apply a filter (BCC dust/scratch removal) and render to an uncompressed .mov file. The behaviour is the same: The memory used by the RED Engine process keeps growing while rendering until it crashes (after rendering about 15 minutes of footage, the process used more than 2 GB RAM). There was no error message, the application just closed! Even when I successfully render a short clip, the memory is not freed afterwards!

So this is actually not a problem of the combination of Vegas and RED but of RED itself. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong here! Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]