BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

Best HD output format choice?

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan CaldwellBest HD output format choice?
by on Jul 16, 2010 at 2:52:02 am

I'm starting my first Boris Red HD project. It will essentially be a montage of graphic elements, high resolution stills and some SD full motion video (displayed at native resolution). The TRT is expected to be about 5 minutes. I'm trying to determine the best work flow and HD resolution for the Red project settings.

The final product will be a Blu-ray DVD viewed on a consumer HD flat screen monitor in the waiting area outside a non-profit's main offices.

I have a Pro Mac 2 X 2 2.66 GHz Dual-Core machine with 16 GB of memory, AVID MC5, Boris Red 4.3 and a new MX02 mini for HD monitoring (I have another post for this issue).

So, the first question is... What "Project Settings" parameters do I choose to produce the best final image quality for this project? Do I use Red as a plug-in tool inside AVID MC5 (with 2 GB memory limitations) or, create segments of the program using the stand alone Red Engine, export them as AVID DNxHD files and then stitch them together in MC5? Or, is there a better choice?

Then, question two is... What is the best HD format choice?

My first experiments have been frustrating. I can't get a clean, smooth motion final export. And, running Red Engine as a stand alone program, with the preview quality set to draft and half resolution, I'm getting crashes.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Dan.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved