BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

Boris - Set Face on Track

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hugh BoydBoris - Set Face on Track
by on Jul 5, 2010 at 12:05:21 pm

Hi Boris FX people. Is it possible to use a track (layer) within a composite as the face of another track (layer), instead of using an external media source, movie file, text, etc or creating another Text face?

I'm trying to create a multi-layered composite that uses a single text track as the source for each track. With each tracks source, pointing to the text track. This saves me having to duplicate the Text layer and modify each one every time I need to make an update.

I hope this makes sense - thank you for any help.

Return to posts index

peter mcauleyRe: Boris - Set Face on Track
by on Jul 13, 2010 at 2:00:02 pm

I believe you are looking for a way to create a symbolic link to a single precomposed instance of a track to use as media for multiple other tracks and for all instances of the track to update if the original source text is modified.

Is this a fair description of what you are trying to do?

Currently I know of no way to achieve this as a live effect in RED. What you can do though is to render a quicktime from a project which contains only the text that you need to use for the multiple tracks and then use the rendered quicktime as the source for these tracks. You could then modify the text project with any changes that you need to make, re-render a new quicktime and if you use the same name for the new render then the update to all of the tracks that use this clip will be automatic.

I will add the symbolic link to a precomp as a wish list item for a future version of the software so that you can achieve this without having to use the method that I describe above.

I hope this helps.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved