BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials Motion Graphics After Effects

Motion track with blur filter

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Caldwell
Motion track with blur filter
on Jun 29, 2010 at 4:56:54 am

Hello: I'm relatively new to Red. I'm trying to track a blur to a persons forehead. The reason why will take longer than the question. My problem is ... (I've followed the Boris Help info and the tutorial) I can generate a good motion track but the "apply" tab options in the 'Motion Tracker" window allow two choices; "Top-Left" and "Bottom-Right". If I choose "Top-Left" it will track that corner of a rectangle shaped Blur filter properly but the Bottom-Right corner scales with the motion of the camera. The opposite occurs with the other choice. What am I doing wrong? Thanks for any advise. Dan.

Return to posts index

Matthew Mullen
Re: Motion track with blur filter
on Jun 29, 2010 at 2:22:54 pm

If you choose none from this menu what is your result?

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
on Jun 29, 2010 at 3:09:51 pm

I'd suggest using the BCC Witness Protect filter to achieve that result - it's the easiest and fastest way to do this in Boris RED.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

Dan Caldwell
on Jun 29, 2010 at 3:42:37 pm

Hello Peter:

Thanks for the note. I'll give that a try. It's the classic situation where I've done precisely what the HELP tutorial states and the result is a non-functional effect. There's some tweaky issue.

Thanks for the help. Dan.

Return to posts index

Dan Caldwell
on Jun 29, 2010 at 3:33:23 pm

Hello Matthew:

Thanks for the note. If I choose "None", the rectangle shaped blur (defined as a region with the pixel chooser) maintains the proper constant shape but doesn't track the video. The pixel chooser key frames are set to constant.

Any advice is appreciated. Dan.

Return to posts index

Matthew Mullen
on Jun 29, 2010 at 4:15:20 pm

If I understand correctly it is tracking the point you set it to therefor changing the size of the rectangle?

What if you apply it twice and set one instance to top left and track it then set the 2nd to bottom right and track it?

Return to posts index

Dan Caldwell
on Jun 29, 2010 at 4:48:04 pm

Hello Matthew:

I think the problem has something to do with the keyframe interpolation in the blur effect. I've got the "Inside Rectangle" selected and the keyframe interpolation for the corner points set to "constant" but it behaves like the opposite corner (from the one selected in motion tracking "Apply") reacts like the interpolation is set to "ease in". That corner doesn't stay "constant" to preserve the shape of the blurred rectangle... If you're able to follow my thought.

I think I'll try the BCC Witness Protect filter recommended by Peter.

Thanks for taking time to scratch your head. I'll let you know if the other filter works.

Dan.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]