BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

BCC: Insert Cusp Control Point?

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Moretti
BCC: Insert Cusp Control Point?
on Apr 4, 2010 at 8:36:00 pm

I'm using Custom Shape in the Pixel Chooser (BCC 5, Avid MC 3.1.3).

Whenever I insert a control point into an existing shape (by Alt + clicking) the new control point is always smooth; it has two bezier handles.

I'd like the inserted control points to default to cusp; no handles. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks very much!

Return to posts index

Matthew Mullen
Re: BCC: Insert Cusp Control Point?
on Apr 5, 2010 at 2:55:22 pm

Are you talking about the keyframes in the effect editor graph?

To select an interpolation option:

Right-click (Windows) or Ctrl+Shift+click (Macintosh) the keyframe graph or keyframetrack for the parameter with which you are working, and select one of the following:
- Shelf
- Linear
- Spline
- B├ęzier

You can find this information on page 116 of avid's advanced effects guide.

Let me know if this helps:

http://cdn.pinnaclesys.com/SupportFiles/attach/AdvancedFXGuide_4.0_8.0.pdf

Return to posts index

Peter Moretti
on Apr 5, 2010 at 8:27:30 pm

Matthew,

Thanks for the reply. I'm drawing a custom shape around an object to make the BCC Radiant Rays effect only apply to part of the image. This is set in the Pixel Chooser parameter group.

So I'm actually not using keyframes. The control points I mentioned are used to define the shape/mask.

Page 460 of the "Advanced FX Guide" shows how to manipulate custom shapes and control points made with MC only. It's helpful for native MC effects, so thanks much. But it doesn't really apply to BCC effects.

Return to posts index

Matthew Mullen
on Apr 5, 2010 at 8:39:34 pm

Understood.

When you create a custom shape you can simply click and get a control point if you click and drag you get the "handles".

If this doesn't help could you post a screen shot and a more precise description?

Return to posts index

Peter Moretti
on Apr 5, 2010 at 8:51:07 pm

Matthew, thanks. That's the way it works when first creating the shape. But when you insert control points to an existing shape (by pressing Alt + click on the line connecting two control points) the inserted control point defaults to having handles.

This is kind of a pain if you don't want handles. And to remove the handles is a pain as well, sometimes it seems Shift + double click will remove the handles and sometimes it doesn't, AFAICT.

If this isn't clear, I'll post a screen print. But really it's just a custom shape that I made that I want to add control points to. When I add the control points, they have handles, and I'd like them not to have handles.

Thanks again for your help.

Return to posts index

Matthew Mullen
on Apr 5, 2010 at 9:11:50 pm

Ok,

So I create a custom shape.

I add points to the existing shape by alt+clicking an existing line.

As you describe I get a point with handles.

If I shift click it collapses the handles.

After they are collapsed it seems a shift double click removes them. It's a little clunky though it seems like you do get some mis-clicks but that may be a UI limitation or something.

If the shift click then shift double click doesn't work you could also pull the handles out position the point where you want then shift click to collapse the handles as a workaround.

Return to posts index

Peter Moretti
on Apr 5, 2010 at 9:49:00 pm

You got it! It's not impossible to deal with, but it's annoying enough to wonder if there is a way to change the default type for added control points.

B/c it's not just the handles themselves that are an annoyance, it's that the control point itself is a different type, called smooth, which does not allow for sharp angles.

Thanks again for all your help, and maybe someone knows a way to change the default behavior.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]