BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials Motion Graphics After Effects

BFX9, Win7,Vegas needs QT?

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Felder
BFX9, Win7,Vegas needs QT?
on Apr 1, 2010 at 1:53:00 pm

Even if I'm not using any quicktime files, does the host machine need QT installed? Maybe that's my problem with Boris not working properly on my Win 7/Vegas 9 system?

If that's the case, Do I have to load the entire QT package, or can I just steal a dll from another machine so Boris see's what it's looking for? QT seems to add more problems to a machine than it solves.....

Thanks....

Ryan Video Productions Inc. Rockaway, NJ

Return to posts index

Matthew Mullen
Re: BFX9, Win7,Vegas needs QT?
on Apr 1, 2010 at 2:25:09 pm

It's a possibility.

If you are not running QT you really probably should be if you're doing video work.

I don't know where you're perception of QuickTime causing issue is from but most NLE's are fairly dependent on it.

Return to posts index

Dave Felder
on Apr 1, 2010 at 2:35:01 pm

>>> I don't know where you're perception of QuickTime causing issue is from but most NLE's are fairly dependent on it.

My negative perception of QT is because it puts itself into your startup routine and loads if you need it or not. It also loads at least one Apple updater program which sits memory resident until it's time to check for updates.

Just bad etiquette, IMHO.

Plus, I bought QTPro for the old edit machine several years ago, then when QT decided it was time to install the newest version of player, I started getting nag screens when I wanted to use an MPEG converter, telling me I needed to buy QT MPEG encoder. Of course, I already had Vegas installed with the Main concept encoder. I had QT pro 5 and QT player 6 when on top of it and problems began. In frustration, I downloaded "QT Alternative" but didn't like that either, but don't recall why.

Whether it was my lack of knowledge or ability to manage quicktime, I'm not sure, but keeping it off my machine seemed like a good antidote to the problem. Of course, the productivity I get from Boris makes it worth the grin and bear it anxiety of QT.

thanks.....

Return to posts index

Matthew Mullen
on Apr 1, 2010 at 2:45:37 pm

I mean a lot of that stuff can be tweaked in the QT prefs or by disabling automatic startup items but QT is on v.7 now and I think you'll find it much more stable.

Glad your issue with FX is resolved.

Return to posts index

Dave Felder
on Apr 1, 2010 at 2:54:01 pm

Any thoughts as to why a jpeg appears black in the composite window? Converted to a PNG in photoshop, the still image is fine.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Matthew Mullen
on Apr 1, 2010 at 2:55:31 pm

Never heard of that before.

What version of QT did you install?

If you send me the JPEG I can try to take a look.

My e-mail is mattm@borisfx.com

Return to posts index

Dave Felder
on Apr 1, 2010 at 4:28:40 pm

>> NWhat version of QT did you install? If you send me the JPEG I can try to take a look.

Thanks Matt -

QT 7 from Apples website - I assume it's the latest and greatest.

The JPEG's are on a hard drive in the office and I'm on site at a client's, but let me know where to send the JPEG and I'll do it tommorrow.
Dave

Return to posts index

Matthew Mullen
on Apr 1, 2010 at 4:30:09 pm

mattm@borisfx.com

I'll take a look tomorrow when you send them.

Return to posts index

Dave Felder
BFX /Win 7 Issues resolved - working perfectly!
on Apr 12, 2010 at 5:24:23 pm

The problem I was having with BFX turned out to be Quicktime problems all the way.

I uninstalled the current version of QT, which is 7.6.6, and installed QT 7.6.2 and everything is now working perfectly.

Stills are loading into BFX 9.3, and passing through to Vegas 9.

And the best part, with my new PC, I can preview BFX compositing without having to render the work first.

A real happy customer here. Just crossing my fingers for the 64 bit version......

Return to posts index

Matthew Mullen
Re: BFX /Win 7 Issues resolved - working perfectly!
on Apr 12, 2010 at 9:08:35 pm

Dave,

Thanks for reporting!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]