BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials Motion Graphics After Effects

Problem with Vegas 9, Win 7 & Boris FX

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Felder
Problem with Vegas 9, Win 7 & Boris FX
on Apr 1, 2010 at 2:14:19 am

Hi. I just installed BorisFX 7 into my new Vegas PC (I realize it's an old version, but it's what I was running on my old Vegas PC). I'm running Vegas 9 32 bit, Win 7 on a Quad Core HP with 8 GB of memory an several TB of disk space.

On Install, Boris didn't like my graphics card and turned off Open GL. I manually turned it on, and that had no effect on my problem.

In Vegas, I add the Boris FX video effect to a clip. I open Boris and seem to be able to use all of the standard Boris features with the video clip. So, Boris is working properly, at least with the video clip it's directly loaded onto.

Then i tried duplicating the track, then changing the media type to a still image. When I click on "OK" to load the image, I get the following error message:

"Unable to change to the specified media (unsupported media or movie type?)."

I get the same error trying to load a JPG or a PNG file. Has anyone ever seen this and figured it out?

Now, if I put the still image directly on the timeline and then add the Boris Effect to it, Boris works fine. However, I can't add a second track and put a still image onto it. It's like Boris doesn't want to do a multitrack effect.

I found an old post from 2002 where it was suggested the user check to make sure he has qtmlclient.dll in his "System 32" folder. I found it in the SYSWOW64 folder, and also copied it to the System32 folder.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Starting a new project next week and having Boris working on the new PC would be helpful.

I'm trying to avoid spending money on an upgrade to Boris 9 until it supports 64 bit........

Ryan Video Productions Inc. Rockaway, NJ

Return to posts index

Matthew Mullen
Re: Problem with Vegas 9, Win 7 & Boris FX
on Apr 1, 2010 at 2:54:55 am

It might be a Win 7 bug.

FX didn't add support for Win 7 until FX 9. I know you don't want to spend the money but you might want to download the trial of FX 9 to test and see if it works properly for you.

Return to posts index

Dave Felder
on Apr 1, 2010 at 3:02:10 am

Thanks Matt. Guess the BFX9 trial is the quickest way to find out.
Dave

Return to posts index

Matthew Mullen
on Apr 1, 2010 at 3:04:02 am

It certainly would be.

Post your results, I'll check back in the morning!

Return to posts index

Dave Felder
on Apr 1, 2010 at 4:16:48 am

Uninstalled Boris 7 & Installed Boris 9.3. Same problem. Tried a few other things and the problem is a little different than i originally thought:

In Vegas, put a still image onto V1. Put the BorisFX Video effect onto it. Open it in Boris. The media is accessible.

Try changing the still image to a different still image. It won't let me, I get the same error message that it's unsupported media.

Perhaps it's a win 7/ Vegas 9 issue. I noticed during installation that BFX 9.3 had Vegas 6,7 & 8 listed as options, but not Vegas 9.

Ugh, I'm not looking forward to doing layers upon layers of video effects using Vegas's built in effects.

Return to posts index

Matthew Mullen
on Apr 1, 2010 at 2:20:22 pm

Can you test it real quick in standalone?

Can you try creating a brand new layer instead of duplicating a current layer?

Return to posts index

Dave Felder
Problem solved: Almost Problem with Vegas 9, Win 7 & Boris FX
on Apr 1, 2010 at 2:28:38 pm

A big duh. When I bought the PC, the first thing I did was Flush and Fill to get rid of the junk. I never re-installed Quicktime, figuring I didn't need it for Vegas.

Installing QT onto the PC now allows BorisFX to load and manipulate still images, so that was the problem.

When I load a JPG image, Boris doesn't give an error message, but just shows a blank screen. I know jpeg isn't the best, but people give me stills from their digital cameras. Converting the JPEGs to PNG's in photoshop makes them work OK in Boris.

Thanks for your time, Matt. I guess I'll play with 9.3 and see if there's anything in there worth buying, or I'll just put BFX 7 back onto the machine.

Return to posts index

Matthew Mullen
Re: Problem solved: Almost Problem with Vegas 9, Win 7 & Boris FX
on Apr 1, 2010 at 2:33:30 pm

Awesome, sounds good.

I know you want to wait for 64 bit support, and I can tell you it is planned for the future. Just no ETA on when that will happen.

-Matt

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]