BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

BCC AE or BCC AE+FCP

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Cole
BCC AE or BCC AE+FCP
on Mar 20, 2010 at 1:26:45 pm

I'm trying to decide whether to buy BCC AE or the bundle that includes AE and the FX Plug version for Final Cut Pro. I'd appreciate another voice in this internal debate. Cost is an issue, but not paramount; "the right way to go" is the overriding consideration.

My comfort level with compositing in AE is much greater than with FCP. I already have Boris XML Transfer, so I can assemble shots for composites in FCP and move them to AE if I need to.

But compositing and editing in two different programs is definitely not as efficient. (btw, I saw a demo of Premiere Pro and After Effects, where round-tripping looked very appealing indeed; part of my internal debate is about trying Premiere Pro for editing!) Absent round-tripping between FCP and AE, I'm debating whether to just bite the bullet and start compositing within FCP, with the help of BCC FxPlug.

But what is that experience like? I doubt that there will be anything like the depth of control in FCP that is so easy in AE.

Your perspectives would help me make a decision. Thank you.

Bob C

Return to posts index

Matthew Mullen
Re: BCC AE or BCC AE+FCP
on Mar 22, 2010 at 2:43:19 pm

It all depends on your workflow.

If you had BCC in both it really allows you to take advantage of XML Transfer as it lets you port all the BCC effects to AE. This could potentially save you time in AE.

The best thing to do, I would think, is download the 14 day trials for both AE and FCP. Then you can decide yourself if one or the other or both suits you best.

-Matt

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Mar 22, 2010 at 9:32:40 pm

[Matthew Mullen] "The best thing to do, I would think, is download the 14 day trials for both AE and FCP."

Great advice. I've downloaded the FCP trial. One crash and one lock-up in about twenty minutes, although I was being pretty aggressive. I like what I see when it isn't crashing, though.

For people who use BCC FxPlug in FCP - is this normal or the result of my being new to the software?

Is the BCC AE software more stable?

Return to posts index

Matthew Mullen
on Mar 26, 2010 at 6:29:15 pm

Bob,

If the Final Cut update doesn't resolve your issue could you send me the project file with the steps on how to reproduce your crash.

you can send it to mattm@borisfx.com

Return to posts index

Boris Yamnitsky
on Mar 24, 2010 at 9:42:40 pm

The crashes in Final Cut that you are experienced are fixed in FCP 7.02. Run software updated on it. I think it just went live today. Sorry for inconvenience but there was nothing we could do about the problem. The good news is that it should be fixed now.

Boris Yamnitsky
BorisFX

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]