BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

Boris Red - tips for creating 3D popup book effect

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bruce LawBoris Red - tips for creating 3D popup book effect
by on Mar 17, 2010 at 12:23:51 am

I'm an Avid editor, but the system I've been working on has a (fairly old) copy of Boris Red installed. It's the first time I've used Red properly, but I've been able to do some really great digital rostrums with it. Inevitably now I'd like to go a step further and create a popup book effect, something like the beginning of this...

but obviously much simpler.

The way I thought to achieve this was to split my popup images into 2 halves - the left and the right pages of the book - and place them on 2 separate 3D planes, which effectively represent the 2 pages. Then I rotated the left plane in the Z axis 180 degrees to mimic the left page opening. Meanwhile the images themselves rotated in their X axes 90 degrees to achieve the popup effect on the pages.

The effect is not great, however. Don't laugh! Part of the problem is finding the correct value for the position of the pivots, which need to be exactly along the spine of the book and along the bases of the popup images. I cannot find an explanation anywhere of what those pivot/position values relate to. Are they pixel values and, if so, why do they not match the dimensions of my imported images (which are approximately 2000 pixels wide). If anyone can explain these values to me in plain English I'd be very happy.

The other problem is that to achieve the rotations perfectly, the images would ideally have some sort of linked behaviour so that the movement of one image/popup would impart movement on another. Is this completely beyond the scope of a package like Red?

Thanks for any tips.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved