BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

flashing marquee lights

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Axel Andyflashing marquee lights
by on Mar 14, 2010 at 5:54:47 pm

Using Red, is there a way to frame an image with flashing marquee lights? The only thing in the library that seemed close was a text jitter.
Thanks -
K

Return to posts index

Steve PankowRe: flashing marquee lights
by on Mar 14, 2010 at 10:47:00 pm

Off the top of my head I'm thinking you can build the lights using Wedge spline primitives and placing them all into a Precompute folder. Duplicate that folder and apply BCC Glow Edges with high width and smoothness values for the "lit" version and then figure out a way to switch between the lit and unlit folders on your timeline. HTH.

Return to posts index

Axel AndyRe: flashing marquee lights
by on Mar 15, 2010 at 2:36:18 pm

For 'precompute' folder do you mean a container? I actually tried doing the spline wedges (3 of them), colored them yellow and placed them in a container. That's where I got stuck.
I tried following one of the Red tutorials on "painting" but nothing mentioned in this tutorial (which is supposed to be for Red) matches my Red screen. I downloaded the tutorial practice .red file and it would not load with my version of Red - 3.04.
I'll try what you suggest....
Thanks -
K

Return to posts index

Matthew MullenRe: flashing marquee lights
by on Mar 15, 2010 at 3:11:22 pm

Axel,

I think Steve put you in the right direction so I'd try his suggestions.

I just wanted to chime in and let you know the tutorial and project are Red 4 which is why it will not load with your Red 3.

-Matt

Return to posts index

Steve PankowRe: flashing marquee lights
by on Mar 15, 2010 at 5:14:21 pm

You could use the BCC Jitter Basic filter with the Destination 1 set to Opacity, Master Amount=100, Amount1=-300 and the Jitter Shape set to Up Down, and drop it onto the topmost of your two spline Precomputes. Adjust flash speed with the Frequency slider.

Return to posts index

by on Mar 15, 2010 at 5:45:44 pm

Thanks...I can't use Red 4. I don't remember why not but I think it conflicted with my version of Avid Xpress DV 3.5

K

Return to posts index

by on Mar 15, 2010 at 7:47:35 pm

I created 1 row of yellow lights using the spline wedge. I duplicated that track 3 more times to make the rectangular marquee shape. Then I used the edge glow filter and adjusted the "glow" up and down all along the filter track of the first row of lights. Then, I duplicated the filter and placed it in the next row of lights and slid it up or down a bit - just so the amount of glow differed from the previous track. I repeated this step (copying the filter and sliding the track) for the next 2 edges of the rectangle. It does the trick but I think with some work it could be pretty cool. Thanks for your suggestions...
K

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]