BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials Motion Graphics After Effects

BCC 6 OpenGL 16-bit? Boris Red - 8-bit?

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ron Jurman
BCC 6 OpenGL 16-bit? Boris Red - 8-bit?
on Mar 12, 2010 at 1:23:43 am

Two questions about Boris bit-depth support:

BCC 6 for AE (Win) OpenGL filters are shown as 16bit, but only seem to work in 8-bit (in 16-bit I get just a black screen or AE rendering error). The BCC 6 release notes mention Rays as not supported on 16-bit (but they 'do' seem to work), but no mention of OpenGL. Oddly, the release notes for BCC 5 do note that the OpenGL filters are not supported for 16-bit. Clarifications, if you would?

The various Boris products (Red, Blue, FX, etc.) all show up as 8-bit only filters in AE (CS3), but everything I've seen suggests they should be seen as 16-bit. Are they only 8-bit supported?

Regards,

Ron Jurman

Return to posts index

Boris Yamnitsky
Re: BCC 6 OpenGL 16-bit? Boris Red - 8-bit?
on Mar 14, 2010 at 2:30:49 pm

What video card/memory amount do you have on your AE system? The only explanation I can offer is that the system is running out of OGL resources. Unfortunately, this is a fact of life with OGL rendering. You need a beefy card.

You are right in your observation that in BCC5 OGL filters were limited to 8 bit. That was one of the BCC6 improvements.

RED 4, FX 9 and GR 5 should show up as 16 bit in AE. Earlier versions may be 8 bit only.

Hope that helps,

Boris Yamnitsky
BorisFX

Return to posts index

Ron Jurman
Re: BCC 6 OpenGL 16-bit? Boris Red - 8-bit?
on Mar 14, 2010 at 7:49:02 pm

Boris,

Thanks much for the quick response.

GeForce 9600M GS with 1 GB of adapter RAM.

After Effects CS3 (8.0.2.27)

Boris RED (4.3.3.1502)
Boris BLUE (2.5.2.582)
Boris FX (9.3.2.1500)

The above all list as 8-bit effects in AE Effects & Presets, and show yellow warning triangles when applied in a 16bit project.

BCC (6.0.1.270)

List as 16-bit effects.

Regards,

Ron Jurman

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]