BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

Final Cut crashing with Boris Continuum 6

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen WessingerFinal Cut crashing with Boris Continuum 6
by on Mar 11, 2010 at 1:03:07 pm

Hey guys,

Anyone using Boris Continuum 6 in Final Cut 7.0.1? I downloaded the 14-day free trail and ABSOLUTELY LOVE the chroma key application (ChromaKey Studio Unit); however, it is crashing Final Cut. I am running Leopard on my desktop and can't use the plug-in at all. Downloaded it on my MacBook Pro running Snow Leopard and have constant crashes throughout my work day - I am saving after every major edit because it crashes at different times when doing different edits. Compressor will not work at all.

Tech support said to use the other chorma key unit that was included because of OPEN GL something - but it does not even come close to what Chroma Studio does.

The error message I get when it crashes on my desktop is that Final Cut thinks that Borius Continuum Shaders is causing the problem (not really sure what that is besides another plug-in that was in the trial). The title of this plugin also pops up on my desktop when launching FCP which is really annoying.

If you haven't tried this plug-in and are able to efficiently it is really good....really good. I am ready to buy it right now if it will stop crashing my systems. I just want that effect and nothing else - would there we away to do this?

Any help would be appreciated.

Return to posts index

Boris YamnitskyRe: Final Cut crashing with Boris Continuum 6
by on Mar 24, 2010 at 9:48:14 pm

Please accept my apologies for not responding earlier to this post. I was bound by NDA with Apple and I could not talk publicly about the progress on fixing this bug. The good news is that the crashes that you are experiencing are now fixed in the Final Cut Pro v7.02 which went live as part of FCS update today.

Boris Yamnitsky
BorisFX

Return to posts index

Stephen WessingerRe: Final Cut crashing with Boris Continuum 6
by on Mar 25, 2010 at 12:04:34 pm

Mr. Yamnitsky,

Thank you so much for your response. I eagerly downloaded the update to FCP on my PowerMac running Leopard and when I double-click a clip that has the plug-in utilized, I get the spinning wheel and it crashed. Again, the message I get is...."The application Final Cut Pro quit unexpectanlty. The proble, may have been caused by the Boris Continuum Shaders plug-in."

Any other suggestions? - I will also apply the update on my laptop running Snow Leopard - however the 14-day trial is over so I'm not sure how much I will be able to test - furthermore - I wasn't getting that message after the crashes on the laptop running Snow Leopard - but I would get intermediate crashes with no explanation.

Return to posts index

by on Mar 25, 2010 at 1:12:32 pm

OK, let's approach this problem differently. First, make sure that BCS filters version is 6.071 (a small update from 6.07). Second, send our support team a FCP project (no media needed). support@borisfx.com. We'll try to re-create the problem.

P.S. we can extend the trial period via a special cleaner file

Boris Yamnitsky
BorisFX

Return to posts index

by on Mar 25, 2010 at 7:40:36 pm

Thanks again Boris for you help.

The only version number that I can find is from the documentation from the download and it is 6.0.1. I downloaded the trail from Toolfarm - not sure if that matters.

To send project file, just send xyz.fcp? No other files?

Thanks again!
Stephen

Return to posts index

by on Mar 25, 2010 at 8:00:30 pm

Yes, I forgot that FCP does not offer an About button which makes it a little harder to figure out exact version of a plugin. Anyway, if you still have the original downloaded dmg does the package name say

BCC 6.0.7.1 FxPlug Release .mpkg ?

If not can you download it again?

in any case, just send the .fcp file

Boris Yamnitsky
BorisFX

Return to posts index

by on Mar 25, 2010 at 8:24:11 pm

What I downloaded from Toolfarm was ChromaKeyUnit605. I just uninstalled that and went to the Boris website and downloaded from there - says ChromaKeyUnit607 now. Installed and tried it and still crashed and got the same message about the Shaders plug-in.

I will send project file to tech support.
Thanks again!

Stephen

Return to posts index

by on Mar 25, 2010 at 8:35:42 pm

then I can't explain it without looking at your project. Please send it in.

Boris Yamnitsky
BorisFX

Return to posts index

Matthew MullenRe: Final Cut crashing with Boris Continuum 6
by on Apr 22, 2010 at 2:50:55 pm

Stephen,

Are you still getting crashes?

Do you happen to be running 2 graphics cards in your machine?

Return to posts index

by on Apr 23, 2010 at 2:29:05 am

Hey Matthew - thanks for checking back. Yes, I do have two graphics cards in my Mac Pro. I had to with the two 24" Apple displays.

Stephen

Return to posts index

by on Apr 23, 2010 at 12:25:41 pm

We reproduced a problem with two graphics cards. It only affects the 13 filters in BCS (shaders) categories. We will be posting an update shortly. Possible workarounds in the meantime: use non-OGL versions of these filters, such as BCC Chromakey, Film Process, Light Rays, Glow, etc. Or pull the second card out (perhaps not the best workaround).

Boris Yamnitsky
BorisFX

Return to posts index

Paul SchultzRe: Final Cut crashing with Boris Continuum 6
by on Apr 24, 2010 at 7:51:04 pm

I found the same crashing issue when I apply the BCS transitions that came with Boris Continuum. It crashes if I apply any of them.

Return to posts index

by on Apr 26, 2010 at 1:59:12 pm

Paul,

If you are running multiple graphics cards we should coming out with a fix very soon.

If you are not, make sure you are running the latest BCC 6.0.7.1 with FCP 7.0.2

-Matt

Return to posts index

by on Apr 26, 2010 at 9:22:08 pm

We released 6.0.7.2

Please click the link below, choose Continuum Complete FxPLug and install the update.

Please report back on if this resolves your issues or not:

http://borisfx.com/updates

Return to posts index

by on Apr 26, 2010 at 10:41:11 pm

Thank you Matthew. Yes. I have two graphics cards. I'll install the update. Thank you.

Return to posts index

by on Apr 26, 2010 at 11:59:40 pm

Thanks Paul,

Let us know if it resolves your issues.

-Matt

Return to posts index

by on Apr 27, 2010 at 5:23:05 pm

Hi Matthew,
At first glance it has resolved the issue. I'll test it further with some more complex edits to see if the problem returns, but so far so good.

Thx.

Return to posts index

by on Apr 27, 2010 at 6:09:10 pm

Very good, let us know!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]