BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

Alternative to Boris FX 9? Must have Light Sweep equivalent...

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Colin PatAlternative to Boris FX 9? Must have Light Sweep equivalent...
by on Mar 4, 2010 at 4:53:00 pm

My boss has decided that rather than buy another license of Boris FX for the new computer I'm to begin working on, that we should buy a different effects package. Obviously he tasked me to go about finding this...

There are only two caveats to his request:

1. It must have an equivalent to the BCC Light Sweep effect. I use this effect a lot for clients, and while I can fake it a little bit with FCP's built in Highlight generator, it is not as effective.
2. It must be around $600.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice you have.

Return to posts index

Matthew MullenRe: Alternative to Boris FX 9? Must have Light Sweep equivalent...
by on Mar 4, 2010 at 5:28:06 pm

If FX 9 has what you need why switch, especially when an FX 9 license is only half your budget($299)?

Return to posts index

Colin PatRe: Alternative to Boris FX 9? Must have Light Sweep equivalent...
by on Mar 4, 2010 at 5:44:14 pm

His rationale is that we already have Boris on other computers, so we should get a different effects package that is similar (i.e. Light Sweep) but also offers things that we don't currently have...

Yes, I know, I know... I'd rather him just pony up for more Boris, but you do what you have to.

Return to posts index

Matthew MullenRe: Alternative to Boris FX 9? Must have Light Sweep equivalent...
by on Mar 4, 2010 at 5:48:56 pm

I suppose I can understand his point of view.

Unfortunately I don't have any recommendations for you.

It seems you would want the tools your editor needs to get the job done.

Good Luck!

Return to posts index

Marcus WarrenRe: Alternative to Boris FX 9? Must have Light Sweep equivalent...
by on Mar 4, 2010 at 7:20:11 pm

I don't know what kind of editing you are doing so I don't know if these recommendations will fit your flow but look at Vision Lab Studio by fxHome and possibly Compositor Toolkit 2 from Digital Juice. They probably don't have a clone of the Lightsweep effect but you might be able to come up with something similar. CT2 is not an effects program in the same sense as Boris FX, but it might have elements that will work for you.

Also look at light flare plug-ins. Optical Flares from Video Co-Pilot and Knoll Light Flares from Red Giant Software are examples of solutions that might work in certain circumstances. They typically work with After Effects (which is more than $600 if you don't already have it).

Some of the Digieffects plug-ins that work with Boris RED *might* work with BorisFX, so maybe they are another possibility.

Maybe you can find older versions of current software that people are selling and will transfer regisitration to you like After Effects and combustion.

Finally, you might even try the Amiga program ImageFX from Nova Design. All you would need to run it if would be an Amiga emulator like Amiga Forever so that it would run on a PC or with Boot Camp, etc. on a Mac.

Return to posts index

Steve PankowRe: Alternative to Boris FX 9? Must have Light Sweep equivalent...
by on Mar 4, 2010 at 8:56:06 pm

"Also look at light flare plug-ins. Optical Flares from Video Co-Pilot and Knoll Light Flares from Red Giant Software are examples of solutions that might work in certain circumstances. They typically work with After Effects"

Do they work with Red? How much time will go by before BorisFX puts its own lens flare filters into Red and not just Continuum?

Return to posts index

Marcus WarrenRe: Alternative to Boris FX 9? Must have Light Sweep equivalent...
by on Mar 5, 2010 at 12:44:16 am

They typically work with After Effects.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]