BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

Changing project sizes

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve PankowChanging project sizes
by on Feb 19, 2010 at 12:01:57 am

I've got a project that started out as 720x486, but producer now wants it 1280x720. It consists of nothing but extruded spline objects that form a logo - no video or anything like that.

Of course when I make the switch via Preferences, everything gets stretched horizontally and cycling through the Video Aspect options makes no difference.

Am I out of luck here, or is there a way to preserve the dimensions of the logo while placing it inside of this larger space? Probably makes more sense to have the producer specify a comp size before even beginning.

Return to posts index

Steve PankowRe: Changing project sizes
by on Feb 19, 2010 at 6:46:48 pm

Nothing on this? It's a RED 3.0.2 project btw. Same behavior exists in 4.3.3. No idea why this would be when the original .eps file seems to keep its proper aspect regardless of what I change the project size to.

Another nasty bug is that opening the 3.0.2 project in 4.3.3 and then closing without saving somehow corrupts the .red file so that 3.0.2 claims it's now incompatible. Attempting to re-open in 4.3.3 produces absolutely nothing. Very disappointing. I've lost about two days' worth of work.

Return to posts index

peter mcauleyRe: Changing project sizes
by on Feb 22, 2010 at 2:14:29 pm

Hi Steve,

Sorry to hear of the troubles that you've been experiencing with RED lately. I hope to offer an explanation for some of the woes that have cost you time on the project.

You mention that using RED 4.3, you opened a RED 3.0.2 project file and then closed it without saving without saving, yet is became stamped or identified by RED as belong to RED 4.3. My guess is that you have the Auto-Save function enabled in RED 4.3. Can you check that? If this is the case you might want to disable that feature in the RED 4.3 preferences. Also, if you are worried about something like this happening again, you might want to consider duplicating the project file before opening it in another version of the software. I know this advice is a little too late but something to consider moving forward.

Regarding the other issue, RED is resolution independent and you should expect to be able to change a project size at any time. If you would like to send me a project file along with an example of the EPS that you are using, I'll take a look to see if I can understand what the problem is. Feel free to send me the project and EPS via email ( as they should be small files.

Return to posts index

Steve PankowRe: Changing project sizes
by on Feb 22, 2010 at 5:13:21 pm

Hi Peter,

No, Auto-Save is not checked in 4.3. I'll send you the project file/.eps shortly.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved