BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials Motion Graphics After Effects

Red Mouse Problems

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
peter tours
Red Mouse Problems
on Dec 28, 2009 at 10:22:05 pm

My original post is below. I re-downloaded and re-installed Red 4.3.4 again and all seems fine. Original download and install was @ Red 4.3.4 release, some time ago.

I think I have narrowed this down to the Red generator in FCP 7.0.1. Mouse becomes stuck to windows, objects and won't let go, doing damage by moving already set items. Sometimes have to click off to get mouse back. Cannot apply or cancel. Drag along the menu bar and it wakes up but no apply there so must quit app or plugin, with no affect to the effect as it was not applied, and maybe dragged around unintentinally. Sometimes right click will let go.

Red 4.3.4
FCP 7.0.1
OSX 10.5.8
Dual Quad 2.88

Peter Tours
TnT Video Services, Inc.
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Return to posts index

Matthew Mullen
Re: Red Mouse Problems
on Dec 29, 2009 at 3:04:34 pm

Peter,

A reinstall solved this, correct?

Return to posts index

peter tours
on Dec 29, 2009 at 8:03:22 pm

Yes, it is gone and hopefully never to return. I assume that was a bug and not a feature?

Peter Tours
TnT Video Services, Inc.
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Return to posts index

Matthew Mullen
on Dec 29, 2009 at 8:39:47 pm

not sure I would call it a bug, and certainly not a feature. Something may have been messed with the settings.

As long as it doesn't reoccur I think we can chalk it up to a one time glitch.

Return to posts index

peter tours
on Dec 29, 2009 at 9:09:02 pm

I was actually half serious about it maybe being a feature. I could see where, occasionally, it would be good to stick to an item and drag it without holding the mouse, then right click to let go.

That's why I thought I maybe invoked a feature, not an evil spirit.

Cheers, Peter

Peter Tours
TnT Video Services, Inc.
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Return to posts index

peter tours
on Dec 29, 2009 at 10:34:34 pm

IT'S B-A-C-K!!!!!!

Peter Tours
TnT Video Services, Inc.
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Return to posts index

Matthew Mullen
on Dec 30, 2009 at 2:34:11 pm

Peter,

Just to make sure I am clear you are trying to resize windows but the arrow will not ungrab one you release the click? Is that correct?

Are you using any devices on the machine like a track ball or wacom tablet? Or have you? What have you done between the reinstall when it worked and when it stopped working?

-Matt

Return to posts index

peter tours
on Dec 30, 2009 at 7:30:46 pm

Nothing particularly unusual. I use a Logitech MX620 mouse and no other input device. The problem seems to be limited to using Red inside FCP - I have not had the problem that I recall with the engine.

But when it happens, it will stick to windows, keyframes, objects, sliders, everything that you can click on and do something with - except cancel or apply, on the composite window or the timeline. To quit the plug-in, I found running the mouse over the top menu from the right to left wakes it up and I can get to the file menu to quit Boris or FCP. Of course nothing will be saved.

When stuck to any of the above, right clicking will sometimes but not always release it - maybe 50% of the time. If you try to click cancel or apply the mouse stops being able to click at all, unless you either click off the app or do the above sliding technique, all of which result at best in a quit.

I cannot yet trace any of my actions to say "it happens when....." But so far it appears to be limited to Red as a filter or as a generator. The problem has not occurred in the Red Engine. But when the system is in this mood (mode? mood?) going back into FCP and going thru the process of getting to the UI, the mouse will act up and I can't even recall the effect I just wrote in engine unless I click well and wisely and of course luckily.

It's was a rare anomaly for a while but is getting more frequent. I can't even say for sure re-downloading and re-installing 4.3.4 solved the problem or it just went away like it tends to do anyway.

So bottom line, it's a pain in the arse, but isn't deadly. And for me, not being able to use Red would indeed be deadly. In 15 years of digital editing I have only opened AE a few times, shook may head, and gone back to Red.

Anyway have a great New Years celebration and we can solve this problem next year!

Cheer, Peter

Peter Tours
TnT Video Services, Inc.
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Return to posts index

Matthew Mullen
on Dec 30, 2009 at 7:42:09 pm

Peter,

Did you have to install a driver for the mouse? It is a wireless mouse correct?

What I would try to do is remove the driver for that mouse and hookup a standard USB mouse to rule out a driver conflict, I've seen Wacom tablet drivers cause issues with Red before so it would be nice to rule it out.

Return to posts index

peter tours
on Dec 30, 2009 at 8:01:13 pm

I have a similar wired mouse and will try it....but please don't tell me to use a mighty mouse. I get cramps in my hand trying to use that tiny thing. I need a chunky mouse!

Now of course since we never know when or why it happens, I will swap the mice for 2 weeks - or the first time it happens w. the wired mouse - and report back.

Don't ya just love these silly bugs?!

Peter Tours
TnT Video Services, Inc.
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Return to posts index

Matthew Mullen
on Dec 31, 2009 at 3:29:04 pm

Yea, this definitely falls within the strange category I think.

Keep me posted!

Return to posts index

peter tours
on Dec 31, 2009 at 3:43:39 pm

I cannot tell a lie...I couldn't stand that other mouse so I am back to my wireless. I used it for everything, navigation, marking in and out, going to finder....I could do without my keyboard before I can give up that mouse. Oh and it's a Bella Pro keyboard and I really wouldn't give it up. Both have been with the system for it's entire 18 months.

But I will try to pay particular attention to the operations side as opposed the "creative" side whence I enter into Red in the timeline.

Peter

Peter Tours
TnT Video Services, Inc.
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Return to posts index

William Busby
on Jan 2, 2010 at 11:36:21 am

Not that this IS the reason you're having your issue, but... Logitec's SetPoint software that is currently packaged with their mice, etc. can cause various issues similar to the one you describe. Try uninstalling Setpoint & just use your OS default mouse driver and see if your issue disappears.

Return to posts index

peter tours
on Jan 2, 2010 at 12:00:03 pm

Will I love the functionality I depend on for the extra buttons, roller,etc? I use it to mark in and out, scroll the timeline and clips with the tilt wheel, go to finder with one button, scrub, etc?

Peter Tours
TnT Video Services, Inc.
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Return to posts index

William Busby
on Jan 2, 2010 at 12:09:37 pm

Well that's the downside. I believe you'll lose those functions. Can't hurt to try. You can always reinstall Setpoint if it doesn't work for you. However, if your issues disappear, you'll at least know what's causing it during testing when it's un-installed :)

Return to posts index

peter tours
on Jan 2, 2010 at 3:44:34 pm

I appreciate your suggestion, but I think I would need a few weeks of rehab if I had to give up those functions. But thanks for the idea.

The bug only happens occasionally and I need the extra mouse functions all the time.

By the way, I used to work with a William Busby in Columbus Ohio many years ago...any chance that was you?

Cheers!

Peter Tours
TnT Video Services, Inc.
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Return to posts index

William Busby
on Jan 2, 2010 at 8:42:35 pm

Nope. Sorry Peter... wasn't me :) But thanks for asking.

At the beginning of '09, I had bought a Logitec mouse based on the extra cool functions. I had an immediate conflict where windows would jump all over the place in a rapid manner, not unlike some nasty malware or virus, etc. Logitec support and I concluded that Setpoint doesn't play nice with most KVM switches. I couldn't live without mine but could live without the extra cool functions (since I had for so many years prior), so I returned it and got a standard MS mouse... oh well :D

Return to posts index

peter tours
on Jan 10, 2010 at 1:56:03 pm

As odd as it sounds, having changed video cards recently has caused my puter to act very oddly, not just the mouse. The card has been exorcised - appropriate to it's name - and been replaced the a card whose name descends from Hawaii and my puter is back to normal.

Thanks for all your input - I think I just had some bad ju-ju in there!

Happy New Year

Peter Tours
TnT Video Services, Inc.
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Return to posts index

Matthew Mullen
on Jan 11, 2010 at 3:13:28 pm

Peter,

I'm curious. Which graphics card gave you an issue and which fixed it?

Return to posts index

peter tours
on Jan 11, 2010 at 5:46:48 pm

I spent the first 18 months using an AJA IO LA and betacam.

I spent the last month going thru 2 Blackmagic Decklink Studio Cards - v1 w.o hdmi and v2. w hdmi. V1 could not catpure beta w.o moire. V2 caused project to go corrupt whilst I was working on them, making my saves and autosaves worthless. Opening a project, if it would open at all, could take 5 minutes.

Now AHA Kona LHI - feels like my old puter again. Projects open quick, not crashes. NO creepy mouse problems or other gremlins.

Coincidence? Perhaps!

Peter Tours
TnT Video Services, Inc.
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]