BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

Creating a picture wipe transition effect preset

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
gerwyn bowen
Creating a picture wipe transition effect preset
on Nov 14, 2009 at 4:45:07 pm

I am new to MC and Avid FX. I am used to using FCP and am now using MC 4.03. I want to create a transition between two video clips on the avid sequence timeline where an image wipes across the screen left to right(or up and down) over the outgoing video and revealing the incoming video as it passes, like I used to in FCP using the Supawipe transition plugin. Can I do this in Avid FX and create a preset that I would store in the quick transitions bin so that I would simply change the image used in the wipe to speed up the process? The images would be in tif or jpeg format (e.g. a logo or a bouquet of flowers, etc.). Anyone know of any tutorials that would show how to do this? Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Return to posts index

Steve Pankow
Re: Creating a picture wipe transition effect preset
on Nov 15, 2009 at 10:57:04 pm

There are a number of simple Avid shape wipes available in the effects palette without even having to get into Avid FX.

Return to posts index

gerwyn bowen
on Nov 26, 2009 at 9:47:13 pm

I don't want to have a gradient wipe. I want to overlay an image and have that move over the outgoing video. As it passes, the incoming video is revealed followin/chasing the image. this is easily achieved in Supawipe (by Idustrial Magic) in FCP. I can't seem to find a simple solution for AVID MC. Any help would be gratefully received. The effect can be seen at: http://idustrialrevolution.com/component/option,com_sobi2/sobi2Task,sobi2De...

Return to posts index

Matthew Mullen
on Nov 30, 2009 at 4:55:44 pm

Gerwyn,

If you launch the Library Browser you can access the presets in RED/Avid FX.

In the Keyframe Library go to Transitions> DVE Transitions> Pushes.

There are a lot of presets here that give you a variety of "push" transitions. If you start there you may find what you want or give you a good starting point to get what you want.

-Matt

Return to posts index

Steve Pankow
on Nov 30, 2009 at 5:23:38 pm

After watching the demo, it appears to be nothing but a graphic moving across the screen concealing the shape wipe underneath it. You could import a full screen graphic and still do this using stock Avid DVE and wipe effects. This is also doable in AvidFX but I'm not sure there's a "supawipe" preset in there.

One way to set it up:

On the Avid timeline put outgoing video on V1 and incoming video on V2 at the point you want the transition to begin. Put an Add Edit on V2 where you want the effect to end (perhaps 1 second after the V2 clip begins).

Apply a 2 input AvidFX plug to V2. Activate the plug. You should see both video tracks on the Boris (AvidFX) timeline. You can then go to the Library Browser>Transitions>DVE Transitions>Wipes and apply perhaps Soft L to R Wipe. I'm assuming you've already generated the thumbnail animations for the Keyframe Library so you can see them all. Probably have to go into the Crop adjustment on V1 Outgoing to either increase or decrease the Softness of the wipe's edge depending on personal preference.

Import whatever still image you're going to use as your object to push across the screen. Adjust Scale and X-axis to taste for both start and end keyframes, making sure the object stays over the center of the wipe. You can add a text track and do the same thing to the X-axis. An alternative is to place both the image and text tracks into a Container first and use its X-axis controls to move both object simultaneously.

From there you can save this new transition effect to the Keyframe Library and call it up for future use.

Easy as Supawipe? No, but you save yourself $99 and have something more customizable and ultimately more powerful at your disposal.

Return to posts index

gerwyn bowen
on Nov 30, 2009 at 6:11:09 pm

Thank you both for your responses. I tried the DVE transitions initially but had problems with the alpha on the imported images. I'll try again. I imagine there's an alpha setting I am missing somewhere. I am working my way through the class on demand training for AVID FX at the moment and hopefully I'll stumble upon something in there that will help. It's the speed and simplicity of the Supawipe plugin that makes it such a great tool in FCP. I imagine that once I get this cracked then I should had a similarly speedy preset in Avid FX that I could call upon.
Very helpful. Thank you.

Return to posts index

Steve Pankow
on Nov 30, 2009 at 6:20:27 pm

I'm running under the assumption your imported graphic already had an alpha. You could take it into Photoshop, make an alpha there and either import into Avid to be manipulated by the stock DVE effect or reference it (import) in the AvidFX timeline. You can also take the original non-alpha image mess around with the key and matte choker filers in AvidFX.

Return to posts index

gerwyn bowen
on Nov 30, 2009 at 6:29:58 pm

The image does have an alpha channel. When I import it into Avid FX there is white around the image. I figure I need to turn a setting on to get Avid FX to recognise the alpha.

Return to posts index

Steve Pankow
on Nov 30, 2009 at 6:52:25 pm

Might check the Key settings dropdown and see if it's set to No Alpha or something. Should be on Premultiplied White.

Return to posts index

gerwyn bowen
on Nov 30, 2009 at 8:05:08 pm

Thank you! Job done! I now have a push version of supawipe that I can customize as necessary! Saved as a preset in Quick Transitions for speedy use as needed! The alpha was set to nothing (don't know why).

Two further questions, if you don't mind:
Do you know why the import files menu shows "|"?

and

Why do I have to change the readable files to all files to import .tif and .jpg files as the overlay images?

Thanks once again for your help. Much appreciated!

Return to posts index

Steve Pankow
on Nov 30, 2009 at 8:33:26 pm

It's probably set to Nothing in your Preferences under Import Media.

Not sure what you mean with the Import Files menu. I always use the Add Image Media button to bring stills onto the BorisFX timeline.

Return to posts index

gerwyn bowen
on Nov 30, 2009 at 11:34:12 pm

Fantastic - I think that may be where I was going wrong. Using the add image media button everything worked smoothly! Once again thanks for your help! Much appreciated!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]