BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

Boris optical stabilizer

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jamie hamlinBoris optical stabilizer
by on Nov 2, 2009 at 9:18:47 pm

Hello.:)

I am wanting to try out the optical stabilizer plug-in. I dragged my clip into the "well" but do not get the prompt to analyze.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Matthew MullenRe: Boris optical stabilizer
by on Nov 3, 2009 at 2:32:21 pm

Jamie,

For Final Cut, once you drop the source material in the well, check on "track on the fly" Then step through with the arrow keys or play and you should see the software track your point.

Let me know if this helps at all.

-Matt

Return to posts index

jamie hamlinRe: Boris optical stabilizer
by on Nov 3, 2009 at 3:19:26 pm

Were exactly is that? I have my filters page open. The page that has your actual "well" on it. In a tutorial I watched last night, the author clicked on another tab which brought up a page that had a selection of "begin analyzing" I think. I'm not able to get that page up.

I'm sure its something simple and I thank you for your help.

What am I missing?

Return to posts index

by on Nov 3, 2009 at 8:08:51 pm

Jamie,

I do not know which tutorial you are watching but here are the steps you should be following laid out for you:

Overview of Using the Optical Stabilizer
The following steps provide an overview of the optical stabilizing process.

Apply the BCC Optical Stabilizer filter directly to a clip that you want to stabilize.
The Video Quality should be set to Full Quality when you use the Optical Stabilizer.

Set the Mode Menu toSetup Region
and use the onscreen controls to set up the target
region.

This region should be as large as possible while excluding areas of
uniform texture such as sky or water or other difficult to track areas such as motion blur or low
contrast.

A good target region contains large areas of non-uniform detail with high-contrast edge
definition aligned in a variety of directions.

If you are stabilizing, set the Reference Frame
to assign the frame that is used as a
reference for the filter. When stabilizing, the other frames are transformed to match the
reference frame.

If you will be smoothing instead of stabilizing, adjust
Smoothing Range to set the number of frames that are used to calculate the average position of the image.

Set the Stabilize menu to the appropriate choice.

Set the Edge Handling menu to the appropriate choice. This setting determines how the filter creates pixels to fill the this space created when the image is offset to compensate for movement.

Make sure you are on the first frame in the effect. Set the Mode Menu to Stabilize or Smooth and click Play.
The filter will stabilize or smooth the clip. Choose Stabilize
when you want to lock all the frames to the reference frame,
eliminating all motion. Choose Smooth
when you want to smooth, but not eliminate all
motion, such as when panning a hand-held camera.

If you are not on the first frame of the effect and choose Stabilize, the filter will calculate the stabilization of every frame up to the current frame before displaying
the current frame.

Conversely, if you are on the first frame and choose Smooth, the filter must calculate all frames in the Smoothing Range. This means that if the position indicator is on the first frame, Stabilize will be more interactive while if the position
indicator were on frame 100, Smooth could be more interactive (depending on the
Smoothing Range setting).

If necessary, correct any errors using the Optical Flow parameters.

If you want, you can adjust X Translation and Y Translation, Rotation
and Scaling parameters to correct any mistakes made by the filter or to finetune the results.

Render the effect.
If you play through the entire effect before rendering the filter will calculate the
stabilization of every frame. Otherwise, the filter will calculate during the render.

Return to posts index

by on Nov 3, 2009 at 8:37:20 pm

I am going to follow your instructions right now. I'm getting hung up at the very beginning.

Will report back in a few.

Return to posts index

by on Nov 3, 2009 at 8:50:19 pm

Okay, when I drag the filter over my footage in the timeline, I get a message over my canvas that says "This filter cannot operate without media in its topmost layer. Please drag your source clip into the well".

I drag the clip into the "well". It shows up in the well is a very small preview. The message in my canvas never goes away.

Went to mode and chose setup region but that's were I stop. My canvas still has the message listed above.

Return to posts index

by on Nov 3, 2009 at 9:57:32 pm

Jamie,

Glad we could help you out over the phone.

Please don't hesitate to call or post here if you have any more issues/questions.

Return to posts index

by on Nov 3, 2009 at 10:02:06 pm

Yes! Shot out to Matt and Boris!

Its unheard of to get customer service like that these days. Really sold me on you guys stuff! Super impressed!

Thanks again Matt.

Return to posts index

Robert HillRe: Boris optical stabilizer
by on Dec 25, 2009 at 5:07:32 pm

How do you drag the clip into the well? Where is the well? is it a button, a place?
When I drag a clip into the viewer I get the same error message above.

Return to posts index

by on Dec 27, 2009 at 10:40:40 pm

Robert,

Not in front of a system now but lets see if I can describe it to you.

In the effect controls there should be a Source layer well. the well looks like a frame of film with a question mark in the center.

Simply drag the source material to this area and you will see it populate with the source video.

Let me know if this helps or if you need any more help, if you still can't find the "well" I can post up some screen shots on Monday or arrange a phone call.

-Matt

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]