BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials Motion Graphics After Effects

BCC6 Extruded Text Render Problem

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Tario
BCC6 Extruded Text Render Problem
on Oct 6, 2009 at 6:00:42 am

Hi all, I'm experiencing an odd render problem with BCC6 Extruded Text on Mac AE CS4. My rendered text flickers, as though the texture or reflection is jumping around within the text. I've exported full res PSDs from the timeline without any indication of this flickering - frames that flickered in movie files.

But whether I render to a movie file (I tried Animation and ProRes codecs) or a PSD sequence...I get the same weird flickering. Any ideas? My project is 1080p/29.97. I have plenty of horsepower in the Mac. Motion blur is off to make render time reasonable. Very strange.

I tried a half-size/res render and there is no flicker, it looks fine (aside from it's obvious low quality). I'd really appreciate any help. I love the way the effect looks, but waiting a couple hours for the"real deal" only to find it unusable was very disappointing. Thanks, Brian

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
Re: BCC6 Extruded Text Render Problem
on Oct 6, 2009 at 2:30:19 pm

Hi Brian,

Without actually seeing the project, it's difficult for me to understand why it is flickering. Instead of working with the HD project settings, try recreating the project at SD to see if the flickering is present at that project size. If this renders without the flickering, try increasing the project size incrementally until you reach full HD. This way we can understand whether the flicker is apparent at any project setting or just at particular settings.

Please let us know if this helps.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

Brian Tario
on Oct 8, 2009 at 5:20:40 pm

Thanks Peter. I did a test at D1 and it looks fine. I re-rendered at 1080 and it still looks awfully weird. Can I send you the project file for you to test? It's very small, consisting of only solids and the BCC effect. I'm running CS4 on a Mac. My deliverable was due yesterday. :( Thanks a lot, Brian

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
on Oct 8, 2009 at 5:51:49 pm

Hi Brian,

Yes, please send me the project. You can send it to me via yousendit ftp service (which is free for less than 100 mb transfers). Please make sure to zip the file before sending it. My email address is peterm@borisfx.com.

From your description of the SD vs HD test result, I can tell that the video card can't handle the OGL throughput but I need to verify that in our labs to be 100 percent sure. I'll render out the file and send you the render so make sure that it's set up the way you want it for final render. This way you will be able to deliver the project. If my hypothesis proves correct, then eventually I think you'll need a more powerful graphics card.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

Brian Tario
on Oct 8, 2009 at 6:04:45 pm

Interesting...I just emailed you the project file, it's tiny. It's setup to render only the BCC text I need, I'll composite it into the rest of the scene here if it works for you. FYI, my GFX card is the ATI Radeon HD 4870 running driver 01.00.318. Thanks for your help!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]