BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

The BCC Stabilizer and transitions

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Wilfred HildonenThe BCC Stabilizer and transitions
by on Sep 24, 2009 at 4:31:31 pm

First, it is better to inform you that I am still in the learning process, one might say, when it comes to filing and editing, using a Canon HV30 and Final Cut Express.
I am using the BCC Stabilizer on some clips and it works well - but it seems that transitions create trouble. At first, I added cross fades to some clips and as I had to re-analyze them, it seems like that ruined the whole stabilizing or smoothing process.
I am trying to remove the effect and replacing it, to see if it goes better to add it after one adds the transitions but I am somewhat bewildered about the results. Is it possible to use the Stabilizer together with transitions at all? If it is, what is the correct procedure?

Return to posts index

peter mcauleyRe: The BCC Stabilizer and transitions
by on Sep 24, 2009 at 5:31:26 pm

Hi,

The workflow that I would recommend is to stabilize the clip, then render it, then export the clip as quicktime, which you should reimport into the editing timeline. Then make the transition using the stabilized quicktime version of the clip.

I hope this helps,

Peter.

Return to posts index

Wilfred HildonenRe: The BCC Stabilizer and transitions
by on Sep 24, 2009 at 5:40:34 pm

That seems like something which could work. Thanks!

Return to posts index

William BusbyRe: The BCC Stabilizer and transitions
by on Sep 24, 2009 at 10:27:54 pm

A better alternative is to have your transitions stay within the boundaries of the stabilized rendered clip (treat it as it's a clip with no handles at the head or tail). In other words, say you originally want 20 frame dissolves at the head & tail of the stabilized clip... at the head have it start at the cut & at the tail have it end at the cut. Which is what you would have to do with an exported & re-imported QT file anyway, because there wouldn't be any handles to work with.

Return to posts index

by on Sep 24, 2009 at 10:35:44 pm

To be sure I get your point; you mean the option where you can choose whether the transition Start on Edit or End on Edit? I guess it must be that and it sounds logical. And yes, an even better alternative especially when one has a huge project. There will be enough clips to keep track of as it is:) Thanks!

Return to posts index

William BusbyRe: The BCC Stabilizer and transitions
by on Sep 24, 2009 at 10:58:51 pm

Yes, Wilfred. I don't use with Final Cut, I use Avid, but I know FCP has the same feature but slightly different terms and didn't know exactly what it's called.

Return to posts index

by on Sep 30, 2009 at 10:23:16 am

I think I will respond to my own initial post as I think I have found the best procedure regarding the BCC Stabilizer and transitions in FCE; I tried both the other suggestions but with longer clips, it was a time consuming process so I finally tried what I should have done first; trimming the clips, add the transitions and then in the end, add the stabilizer where need be, either to stabilize or to smooth. That way it works. What I did wrong, was to add the stabilizer first.
Well, just in case others fumble as much as I do:)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]