BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

External Monitor with FCP 6 & Red 4.1

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Widmer
External Monitor with FCP 6 & Red 4.1
on Sep 16, 2009 at 2:45:37 am

Hi folks. I appologize if this has already been gone over before. Unfortunately I have not been able to find the specific answer.
I'm running Boris Red 4.1 and FCP 6 on a Power Mac G5 with AJA Io LA.
When I'm working with Red as a filter in FCP I am not able to preview my Boris Red project on my external monitor. I have tried connecting to external monitor in Boris. No go. I am however able to view Boris Red on my monitor when I run it stand-alone.

I'm new to FCP after having worked with Avid and Media 100 systems in the past. I would sure appreaciate any help resolving this issue.

Thanks!
Joe

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
Re: External Monitor with FCP 6 & Red 4.1
on Sep 16, 2009 at 12:46:33 pm

Hi Joe,

You might want to get in touch with someone in our support department - I'm sure one of the techs there can assist you with this problem. You can reach them via email at support@borisfx.com.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

Joe Widmer
on Sep 16, 2009 at 2:07:17 pm

Ok . . . Thanks Peter.
I was hoping to participate in discussions here at the Cow and perhaps get some technical advice as well. I have no problem going to Boris tech support, just trying to save a few bucks. I purchased a previously owned FCP system with Boris Red installed. I have all the documentation but no active technical support plan. And yes, I have read my manuals and researched other avenues with no success. I just thought based on the hundreds or thousands of other tech related discussions on here that I might be able join in and gain some insight and advice from fellow video professionals. I guess I was wrong.

By the way, I have been "lurking" here for years and have learned a lot of useful information from you and the other frequent posters and moderators. Maybe I'm shy, I don't know. Because I haven't posted much if at all, does that mean that I am not entitled to receive advice like the other "really active" members. I see where you have answered questions for many other posters. I also recieve and look forward to the Creative Cow Magazine. What a fantastic resource. Additionally, because of the wonderful service that the cow offers to the video community, I have patronized some of the advertisers here.

I apologize for the long, blathering post. Just wanted to finally participate in the discussions and get some advice. Looks like this is not going the way I thought it would.

Thanks
Joe

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
on Sep 16, 2009 at 4:10:07 pm

Hi Joe,

I think you may have misinterpreted my response to your post. :) I suggested that you might want to call into support and ask them to handle this for you only because I thought that might be the quickest way to resolve the issue as it was not something that I had a quick solution for myself.

Please know that in no way did I mean to close off the conversation or prevent anyone else from chiming in with a possible solution to the problem - in fact I welcome anyone who posts to this forum. We're all here to offer any help that we can. :)

So if anyone has a possible solution to this please weigh in and let us know.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

Joe Widmer
on Sep 16, 2009 at 4:50:14 pm

Thanks for the reply Peter. Yes, I think that maybe I did misinterpret your response, and I apologize for being so defensive in my reply. I am aware that you are one of the Boris experts on here and I certainly mean no offense, but I still find it . . . perplexing, that I got the response from you that I did.

Thanks again for your time.
Joe

Return to posts index

Matthew Mullen
on Sep 16, 2009 at 4:38:58 pm

Joe,

Are you choosing "Connect to External Monitor" under the preview menu in RED?

-Matt

Return to posts index

Joe Widmer
on Sep 16, 2009 at 5:29:34 pm

Hi Matt, Thanks

Yes, I have tried that. When I have applied a Boris Red filter to my clip in FCP, and then access Boris Red via FCP, at first the option to Connect To External Monitor is not even doable under preview. The option is not selectable. Then after I go into my Boris Red preferences and click ok without making any changes, and then go back into my Preview menu I am able to select Connect To External Monitor. However, I then get a message that says "Unable to connect to Apple ProIO Uncommpressed. Final Cut Pro is currently connected to the specified video output device."

Now here's another deal. When I exit out of Boris Red, and with Final Cut Pro still running, I can open my Boris Red Engine and access my Boris projects in stand-alone mode and see them on the external monitor. However, that's not the way I want it to work.

I'm wondering if this is an issue with Boris Red. 4.1 and maybe I should upgrade to 4.3. Not sure.

Thanks!
Joe

Return to posts index

Joe Widmer
on Sep 16, 2009 at 11:11:11 pm

Still struggling with this issue. If anybody has any suggestions, I'm all ears.
Thanks!

Return to posts index

Matthew Mullen
on Sep 17, 2009 at 1:57:01 am

Joe,

I'll try to reproduce this first thing tomorrow.

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
on Sep 17, 2009 at 2:18:17 am

Hi Joe,

One suggestion that i might offer is that you upgrade from RED 4.1 to 4.3 - I believe it is a free upgrade for you and you can download the upgrade from our web site at borisfx.com/downloads

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

Joe Widmer
on Sep 17, 2009 at 3:29:10 am

Thank you Matt and Peter. I look forward to trying anything you can suggest. I was told by the previous owner/user of the system that this problem was "just the way it is." I'm sure there must be a work-around for this. Maybe one of my a settings is wrong.

Peter, I have downloaded the 4.3 upgrade but have not installed it yet. Thank you for that suggestion. It might be just what I need, but I want to make sure it's compatible with Mac OSx 10.4.1 before I upgrade it. I saw that it runs on Snow Leopard, but I'm not running that.

I've been using Boris Red on other NLEs for quite a while but I am very new to Final Cut Pro. It's a very sophisticatd and powerful system, but man - what a learning curve. I'm just 2 weeks into it but I'm making progress.

I really do appreciate any help you folks can offer. I know that people on here really do have better things to do than offering free tech support to newcomers.

Thanks again!
Joe

Return to posts index

Matthew Mullen
on Sep 17, 2009 at 2:38:45 pm

Joe,

I was able to get this to work with the latest version of Red.

First, In the preferences on the Preview Tab make sure the device and mode for the monitor output settings are correct.

Then under the Preview Menu select Connect External Monitor but also make sure you select Auto-Update Monitor.

Let me know if this helps you.

Return to posts index

Joe Widmer
on Sep 17, 2009 at 3:41:53 pm

Matt - Thank you very much for looking into this.
I'm kind of freaking out though. I received the message below from you via creative cow e-mail, but this response is not appearing in the thread. Did you perhaps edit your response with the info about the latest version of Red? If so, it sounds like I need to update to that version. If that is the case, are you saying the the info below is not-valid after the upgrad?

I hope I'm not confusing you as well.
Thanks Matt!
Joe

Joe, It appears what you are seeing is not the exception. i was able to reproduce the issue as in I was able to gain external monitor preview with Red Standalone and Final Cut Pro, but not Red launched as a plug in. Unfortunately in order to get external monitor previews you will need to edit your titles/effects in Red and apply them back to Final Cut.

Return to posts index

Matthew Mullen
on Sep 17, 2009 at 4:20:14 pm

Yes Joe I updated my post. I was able to get it to work here, there is no need to freak out.

If it still does not work after the upgrade you need to triple check and post your settings for us to look at. Also the exact hardware and driver you are using.

Return to posts index

Joe Widmer
on Sep 17, 2009 at 4:24:49 pm

Ok . . . now exiting freak out mode.
Thanks much Matt. I will try what you have suggested and let you know. I'm running on OSX 10.4.11. Is this sufficient for the latest Red 4.3 update?

Joe

Return to posts index

Matthew Mullen
on Sep 17, 2009 at 7:34:26 pm

Yes.

Return to posts index

Joe Widmer
on Sep 21, 2009 at 2:34:20 pm

Good morning,
Just a follow-up. I upgraded to Boris Red 4.3 and my problem still exits. I am not able to view my Boris Red projects on my external monitor when I go into Boris Red via a Final Cut Pro effects filter.
I can however view Boris Red projects on my external monitor when when I go into red stand-alone mode.
Hmm. Maybe it's a FCP issue.

Thanks!
Joe

Return to posts index

Matthew Mullen
on Sep 21, 2009 at 4:19:23 pm

Joe,

What AJA hardware and driver version are you using.

In the Preview Tab of the Red preferences what are your external monitor settings.

Then in the Red preview drop down menu do you have External monitor connected and Auto-Update Monitor checked? If you still get nothing what happens if you choose "display frame to monitor" ?

Also what are you using for a monitor and how is it connected.

Return to posts index

Joe Widmer
on Sep 21, 2009 at 8:28:40 pm

Hi Matt,

My AJA hardware is the AJA IO LA.
I'm not sure what driver version I am using, and I'm embarrased to say that I'm not sure how to find out. I'm not seeing the software on the Mac nor can I find the driver. The AJA disc that I have is IO Driver Install Version 1.2 and includes support for IO, IOLA, AND IOLD. However, I'm not sure where to look to see if it is installed.

In my system profiler I am seeing the AJA Video Systems model 0x3 connected via Firewire.

Boris Red Preferences, Preview Tab Settings are:
External Monitor Output
Device: Apple ProIO uncompressed.
Mode: ProIO - NTSC US - Component YPbPr Betacam 525 - 10 bit 422.
Auto Connect at Launch is unchecked. (I have tried checking this but it doesn't help. It simply informs me sooner that it is unable to connect to external monitor).

Boris Red preview drop-down menu:
When I select "Connect to external monitor" I see this message:
"Unable to connect to Apple ProIO uncompressed. Final Cut Pro is currently connected to the specified output device."

Also, in the Boris Red Preview drop-down menu "Auto-Update Monitor" is checked, however at this stage it is not a selectable option (not highlighted or selectable with my mouse cursor).
The only time I can select or change these setting is when I access Boris Red in stand-alone mode, independently from Final Cut Pro.

The monitor I am using is a Sony PVM-2030 connected with S-Video and composite from my AJA IO LA break-out box. I am gettign video to he monitor with both inputs, but neither displays my Boris Red preview.

The AJA is connected to the Mac with FireWire.

Thanks for your assistance Matt!
Joe

Return to posts index

Matthew Mullen
on Sep 22, 2009 at 3:26:11 pm

Ok I don't have this specific hardware to test but here is what we can look at to try and narrow down the issue.

You said it is working in Red as a standalone...what are the Monitor settings in Red standalone, make sure the settings with Red in Final Cut match what is working with Red standalone.

The error seems to indicate the hardware is having an issue with Final Cut and Red accessing the hardware at the same time so I'll try to research that for you.

One last thing. How are you applying Red in Final cut? Generator? Static? or Filter?

-Matt

Return to posts index

Joe Widmer
on Sep 22, 2009 at 9:35:26 pm

Matt,

Ext. Monitor settings are the same in both Red stand-alone and Red via FCP. One note though: When I access Red in stand-alone mode I am not able to select "Connect To External Monitor" in the Prewiew Pop Up Menu UNTIL I go into preferences and click ok without even changing any of the preferences settings. After, and only after backing out of preferences am I able to select "Connect To External Monitor." Strange but true.

I generally applty Red as a filter. However I have experimented with the generator and static generator as well, with the same results.

Thank you for trying to help me out with this issue.
Joe

Return to posts index

Matthew Mullen
on Sep 23, 2009 at 4:02:20 pm

Can you post or e-mail me a screen shot of the error you get " "Unable to connect to Apple ProIO uncompressed. Final Cut Pro is currently connected to the specified output device." "

My e-mail is mattm@borisfx.com

Return to posts index

Joe Widmer
on Sep 23, 2009 at 6:29:20 pm

Matt -

I will e-mail the screen shots to you. One is of the entire screen, the other is a close-up of the error message.

Thanks!
Joe

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]