BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials Motion Graphics After Effects

Avid FX can not stack effects anymore?

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brent Tallent
Avid FX can not stack effects anymore?
on Sep 9, 2009 at 4:27:01 pm

In earlier versions of Boris Red, I could create an effect in Media Composer on Video track 1 and then drop another boris effect on track 2 for text or other effects.

Now when I try this, it can't see the effect that I did on track one. Instead, it sees the original source video.

Have they changed the way that this is accomplished, done away with this or is this a bug?

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
Re: Avid FX can not stack effects anymore?
on Sep 9, 2009 at 5:20:46 pm

Hi,

While I do not know how long it has been this way, I am seeing the same thing on my systems that you describe seeing on yours, which is that RED / Avid FX does not display in the plug-in Composite window the result of other instances of RED / Avid FX that are on the timeline. It can display other filtered results, such as BCC or FEC, but not RED / Avid FX.

To work around this, you can perform all of the work in a single instance of RED / Avid FX. Instead of applying one instance of the filter separately to both tracks, just apply a single instance to the top track and pull up the bottom track into RED / Avid FX and you will be able to see the result of both filtered track in the Composite window without having to leave the plug-in user interface.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

Brent Tallent
on Sep 9, 2009 at 7:00:16 pm

I'm not sure if I'm understanding what you're suggesting as a work around.

If you're suggesting doing all the work in one Boris effect, that won't work for what I'm trying to accomplish. A common scenario would be: the video is created and now I need to add animated supers for three different cities -- so I need to keep all the text on a different video track in 3 different sequences. Or another would be wanting to add an animated lighting effect that spans across two clips.

Did I misinterpret your suggestion?

Thanks - Brent

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
on Sep 9, 2009 at 8:06:07 pm

Hi Brett,

I don't think you misunderstand my suggestion but I guess that's not really going to work in your situation. So ... here's another one:

• apply RED / Avid FX to the base layer, tweak the effect in the RED / Avid FX UI and then apply back to the Avid timeline and export a quicktime reference file
• reimport the filtered, rendered quicktime reference file and cut this over the filtered clip. Then create the animated supers over the rendered video background.

I would like to add that while you can apply multiple instances of the filter to a clip in Avid, the problem is that one instance of the filter cannot speak directly to the other instance (because unlike BCC there is no way to instruct multi-filter start/mid/end in RED or Avid FX) so while the final render is correct, the preview in the composite window is only displaying the current instance of the filter and thinks that the background is unfiltered.

This problem might be related to AVX 2.0 but I'm only guessing.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

Brent Tallent
on Sep 9, 2009 at 8:26:12 pm

Thanks for the feedback. My current workaround is similar -- I create a video mixdown and lay it back into the track. Thanks again.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]