BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials Motion Graphics After Effects

Light Wrap background layer?

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Glenn Thomas
Light Wrap background layer?
on Sep 9, 2009 at 12:43:49 am

Greetings. Just a quick question.. I've downloaded the trial version of Boris FX 9.2.3 to test out in Vegas. It works alright, although with the Light Wrap plugin I can't figure out how to select a background track to use for the wrap. All I get is a pure white wrap. It's just the same whether I'm using the software as a plugin in Vegas or standalone. I can't find any mention of it in the manual either. They mention a 'Background menu' on the Light Wrap page, but there doesn't appear to be a background menu.

Any help here would be much appreciated, thanks.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Glenn Thomas
Re: Light Wrap background layer?
on Sep 9, 2009 at 8:48:55 am

It's alright, I've figured it out... A background track Ctrl+Alt+V needs to be inserted into the Light Wrap plugin itself. Then select the image, video etc to use as the light wrap within that background track.

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
on Sep 9, 2009 at 11:28:19 am

Hi Glenn,

Here are the steps to use the Light Wrap in Boris FX:

• add the Light Wrap filter to the track that has alpha
• make the filter the current selection by clicking it
• in the control panel for the Light Wrap, enable the Use Background Track option by clicking the checkbox
• in the timeline, twirl down the BCC Light Wrap main track to disclose the filters sub-tracks
• the sub-track labelled Background contains the media that will be wrapped around the alpha edges
• click on the video input icon (I think by default it is set to V1) and select the type of media that you want to wrap

It helps to switch the view mode from Normal to Wrap On Black while you are tweaking the Light Wrap settings - this way you can see the Light Wrap before it is composited with the alpha media. Don't forget to switch the view back to Normal though before moving on.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

Glenn Thomas
on Sep 9, 2009 at 2:41:06 pm

Hi Peter,

Many thanks for the step by step instructions! I think my mistake was creating the background track as a layer on it's own. It's all working fine now, thanks. Also, I think your reply ended up being posted before my earlier post.

Now I've come up against another stumbling block. The track motion blur doesn't appear to be making any difference? But I'll keep at it :)

Glenn

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
on Sep 9, 2009 at 2:54:35 pm

Hi Glenn,

Glad to hear that the steps I listed helped.

Regarding the track motion blur ... there are a couple of things to consider:

• how fast is the track moving across the frame - the greater the pixel distance travelled per frame across the comp, the more blur that is applied to the frame

• what is the shutter angle - a wider angle will generate more blur

Modifying these items will change the level of motion blur that is applied to the result. I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

Glenn Thomas
on Sep 10, 2009 at 6:50:11 am

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the reply again.

Yes, I have just have the blur set to a standard 180°. I just don't see any change when I view parts of the video that contain fast movement where it should be visible.

I'd like to try BCC motion blur though, but haven't been able to work out how to select the source layer it tells you to do in the help docs. When I add the plugin to my chain, the soccer ball 'video 1' photo appears which makes things a bit confusing. Is there a simple way of using that?

Regards,

Glenn

Return to posts index

Tam Perl
on Jan 22, 2010 at 7:46:22 pm

I'm using BCC chroma key and light wrap in Premiere Pro. I'm running PP CS4 on an iMac with Snow Leopard.

Essentially I'm working with two layers: My background is in Video 1 and My Greenscreen footage is video two. I'm trying to tell light wrap to use the material in Video 1 track as the wrap. However, Light Wrap wont use that layer. I try assign it by using the pull down menu for "background" -- I see all the layers listed in the menu - but it will not "take" the layer I'm assigning. I've tried creating additional and dummy layers -- whatever I try, it won't use the layer I need.

The layer I'm trying to use as a wrap contains a static PSD file.

Any ideas why this is happening???

thanks

Tam

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]