BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials Motion Graphics After Effects

text quality comparison?

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
sean brennan
text quality comparison?
on Aug 21, 2009 at 11:44:53 pm

Text I create in Boris RED looks a tiny bit jagged around the edges both in the composite window and when rendered to premiere timeline, yet the same text I replicate in Premiere Pro's titler looks so much better, softer and more professional when placed side by side!
Why is this, I have set all Boris settings to High and Full Res...have I missed something?

thanks guys

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
Re: text quality comparison?
on Aug 24, 2009 at 11:09:34 pm

Hi Sean,

The text from RED should be razor sharp - are you generating raster or vector text? If it's raster, try converting it to vector. You can do that in RED by clicking on the track type icon on the text track (to the left of the "Eyeball" icon) and setting it to 3D Line Art.

Hope this helps!

Peter.

Return to posts index

paul taylor
on Aug 25, 2009 at 12:42:32 am

Hi Peter thanks for the reply.
Unfortunately this doesn't help. I create vector text by clicking add vector text icon, type some text in text window (which looks perfect at this point) but viewed in the timeline or boris monitor window it's not as smooth. Edges are more jagged like it hasn't been aliasing. Where are the settings for text quality ie hard, soft, smooth anti aliasing on/off etc ?

thanks

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
on Aug 25, 2009 at 2:31:23 am

Hmmm ... you might want to go to the project settings pane by selecting Edit>Project Settings and click on the 1:2:1 Deflickering option to see if that helps. Note that you wont's see a change until you close the Project Settings window.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

sean brennan
on Aug 25, 2009 at 2:14:13 am

Thanks for the help Peter sadly it doesn't work. I create vector text by clicking on the icon, type something in the text window that pops up and whilst it looks good in there, in the monitor window and rendered to premiere it's jaggy. I've tried different fonts and different sizes. Premiere's own titler still looks Anti-aliasing and much smoother when I replicate this title. Can you tell me where are these aliasing settings in Boris RED, failing that, anything else I could try?
Thanks

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
on Aug 25, 2009 at 2:31:49 am

Hmmm ... you might want to go to the project settings pane by selecting Edit>Project Settings and click on the 1:2:1 Deflickering option to see if that helps. Note that you wont's see a change until you close the Project Settings window.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

sean brennan
on Aug 25, 2009 at 3:47:41 am

hmm, it made a tiny bit of difference. Please take a look at my screen caps: http://www.yousendit.com/download/YkxJblR0UnFCSWV4dnc9PQ
zoom in and you'll see what my issue is. If you have any other suggestions please let me know, thanks for you time.

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
on Aug 26, 2009 at 1:17:18 pm

Hi Sean,

Thanks for sending the screenshots - they really help in our understanding of the result that you are seeing. I'm forwarding the images and description to engineering to see if someone knows why the text is appearing aliased and not as smooth as expected.

Thanks,

Peter.

Return to posts index

Christopher Wright
on Aug 26, 2009 at 6:36:34 pm

Sean,
are you editing with HDV or DV footage?
If so, those codecs really destroy any text or compositing treatments to your original footage.
Also are you viewing the output on a real TV monitor or just the Premiere Canvas??
This will also make a difference.

Dual 2.5 G5, IO, Kona LH, IO, Medea Raid, UL4D, NVidia 6800, 4Gig RAM
Nehalem Octocore 12 GB Ram, Nvidia card, MBP, MXO, MXO2 mini, Windows Vista Adobe Studio CS4, Vegas 9.0, Lightwave 9.6, Sound Forge 9, Acid Pro 7, Continuum 6, Boris Red 4, Combustion 2008, Sapphire Effects

Return to posts index

sean brennan
on Aug 26, 2009 at 10:31:43 pm

I edit with DV. I view on the premiere canvas.
Premiere Project settings were DV-PAL Standard 48khz. A New Boris Composition was added 720X576 D1/DVPAL. Vector text created and applied. The resulting still image dragged from bin to the timeline. The result was jagged. Using the same technique but with the premiere titler (same settings) the result is smooth on the same canvas as indicated by the print screen upload.

Interesting, I have just exporting the boris title from premiere to a .tiff file and viewed it in Photoshop ... Now it displays perfectly smooth. Very strange.

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
on Aug 26, 2009 at 10:50:40 pm

Hi Sean,

I have a sneaking suspicion that it's a problem with fielding in Premiere Pro. It may be something in RED/Graffiti or it may be something in the host. We won't really know until one of the engineers takes a look into the code.

As soon as I hear back from them I'll pass that info along.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

sean brennan
Re: text quality comparison? any news?
on Sep 8, 2009 at 9:07:49 am

Did you get any feedback from the engineers Peter? This is clearly a problem as you recognise and I'm having to use premiere titler because it's fielding and Anti-aliasing is superior.
Thanks

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
Re: text quality comparison? any news?
on Sep 8, 2009 at 11:22:08 am

Hi Sean,

The folks in engineering are still looking into the problem - I'll check in with them to see if they have made any progress in diagnosing the problem and arriving at a solution.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

Bill Portune
on Sep 9, 2009 at 10:46:52 pm

I've had this problem always with RED in FCP. I have to add 0.3 of BCC Blur to all my titles to get the "jaggies" to smooth out. Especially noticeable on the diagonals of the text or when using italics - annoying!

Return to posts index

sean brennan
on Oct 20, 2009 at 8:06:23 pm

It's been a long, long time since you responed Peter, what did the engineers conclude in the end, they've had plenty of time!?
A recognised problem by the sound of it, I'd like to know what's being done if any thing?

thanks

Return to posts index

Matthew Mullen
on Oct 22, 2009 at 3:13:20 pm

Sean,

We found one thing that may improve the quality of the preview.

In the view window do you have the video size set to Fit or to 100%.

If it is set to fit switch it to 100% and you should see an improvement in the quality of the text preview.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]