BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials Motion Graphics After Effects

BCC Extruded text and After Effects Camera

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Brearley
BCC Extruded text and After Effects Camera
on Aug 13, 2009 at 9:41:46 am

Hi everyone,

A client has come to me with a job where they would like to composite 3D text into a moving scene. I'll be tracking the scenes in boujou and exporting a moving camera to After Effects. I don't think there'll be any animation on the text but as BCC extruded text takes it's 3D position from its own built in transformations, how can I line it up in the scene accurately? The position x/y and the z work completely differently from the AE's own 3D positions ie the Z works inverted. Has anyone found a way of using some maths or anything similar so the text can be lined up properly?

If not, if anyone from Boris is reading this, can we have an update within the next week to make this a possibility otherwise I'm going to have to learn Maya really quick.... :)

Cheers

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
Re: BCC Extruded text and After Effects Camera
on Aug 13, 2009 at 11:54:35 am

Hi,

The BCC 3D Objects support use of AE native cameras, so you should be able to use the imported camera with all of the scene tracking information to move around the 3D text, locking the 3D text object into the scene. To do this, just enable the checkbox that is labelled "Use Comp Camera" in the BCC 3D Objects filter and you should be all set.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

Chris Brearley
on Aug 13, 2009 at 12:00:50 pm

Thanks, but I think you've missed the point.

I have the box checked to use the comp camera, but it is not possible to position it accurately in the scene as it uses its own transformations to define its position in 3D space.

Cheers

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
on Aug 13, 2009 at 1:02:30 pm

Well that's quite odd as the whole point of including the AE camera option was so that the internal camera and the comp camera would match. I wonder if it has anything to do with using the Boujou tracker data? Would it be possible for you to please get in touch with me directly as I'd like to resolve the issue - I'd like to see if I can get a project from you that our engineers can look at to see if they can solve the problem. You can reach me via email at peterm@borisfx.com.

Thanks,

Peter.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]