BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jesse GlucksmanBCC in FCP
by on Jul 15, 2009 at 6:51:01 pm

Sort of a silly question but as the saying goes, there are no stupid questions, only stupid people.

I've used Boris Continuum a whole lot in Avid and thoroughly enjoy it. I recently got Continuum for FCP and I'm having trouble figuring something out. In Avid, I would often use Boris effects as video clips themselves--brief flashes, glints and glares and whatnot that I'd drop on the timeline on a higher video track. It makes more sense to do that then put the effect on the whole video clip and keyframe it for the few frames I need.
I cannot figure out how to do this in FCP. Any ideas?

Return to posts index

peter mcauleyRe: BCC in FCP
by on Jul 16, 2009 at 1:49:38 pm

Well you should be able to do that in FCP easily enough. Try creating a slug in FCP, then trim the slug to the desired length and place this over the video track that you want as the background. Next, apply the BCC filter to the slug and set it up to generate the desired effect.

Alternately you can split the clip where you need the effect using the razor tool, then apply the BCC filter to the razored (new use of the noun razor as a verb!) portion of the clip. The advantage to this is that the render time is minimized to just the few frames where you have applied the effect.

I hope this helps.

Return to posts index

Jesse GlucksmanRe: BCC in FCP
by on Jul 16, 2009 at 11:27:42 pm

Thanks, Peter. I can always razor a clip if need be, but I try to avoid that if at all possible so I'm playing with your Slug idea. The slug stays black--I can't figure out how to make the slug transparently opaque, so the slug itself doesn't obscure the video below but not removing opacity so the Boris effect still applies. Am I missing something simple?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved