BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

boris fx+graffiti vs red

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Morecroftboris fx+graffiti vs red
by on Jul 13, 2009 at 7:43:29 pm

Hello, the production company I work at is looking into adding Boris software to our library, and we were interested in the bundle of Fx and Graffiti but were concerned what we'd be losing out on by not having red. i went to the compare products page but i was kinda looking for a simple "if you get graffiti and fx you wont have this in red" so if anyone can help me with that itd help me out. thanks for your time.

p.s. the primary uses we're needing boris for titling, with effects coming in second, and our primary host is the current version of vegas.

Return to posts index

Peter HonigRe: boris fx+graffiti vs red
by on Jul 13, 2009 at 9:53:42 pm

I am both a Red and Vegas user. I contemplated the same before I decided to go with Red. The reason being, Red is a full 3D environment where objects can iteract with each other in a correct geometric fashion and can cast shadows upon each other. As one object moves behind another it is correctly ocluded. Though Boris FX does create 3D objects, the world in which they exist is 2D.

Additionally, Red can run in stand-alone mode with its own renderer and has several important features (like a powerful pixel chooser, clone paint and wire removal) that are not in FX. Though you said you are not interested in titling, Red's extruded text plays well with the other object in its 3D environment to create some neat effects.

Return to posts index

Peter HonigRe: boris fx+graffiti vs red
by on Jul 14, 2009 at 10:54:03 pm

Sorry I misread your statement and see that you DO primarily want titling, and that effects are second. In that case, you will find that titling within Red gives you advantages over Graffiti alone. Again, the full 3D environment with its lighting, shadows, oclusions and intersections let you do advanced compositions. I have done a lot of dynamic logos that are used in corporate videos. Boris Red made it possible for me to do exactly what the clients and I envisioned without experiencing any functionality limitations by the software.

If you use Graffiti instead of Red you will have to contend with various work-arounds like in this tutorial:

I know there are many more limitations but I can't recall them off hand.

Peter Honig

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved